Daphile

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Daphile

Post by Fran »

Great to hear you got it going Claus, looking forward to hearing how you find it...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Claus

Post by Claus »

Sounding very good so far. Had to to restart a few times, but found out that I had to ensure my Dac was chosen as the audio device or it would default to the pc sound card.

Listening to a few radio stations today from Seattle and Denmark. Great sound for what it is and brilliant for casual listening and discovering new/ old music.

Kexp
Alligator
Danish radio
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I installed Daphile on a USB stick this afternoon and I'm using it with my NUC just to try it out. Sounds great, I have to say. I suspect this will be a long-term solution for the sitting room system as the USB drive makes it easy to turn the NUC from movie player to proper audio player with just a reboot. At the very least, it seems to do better than XBMC/Kodi for sonics on music, which isn't all that surprising since I'm struggling to set that up to be bit-perfect.

Anyway, yay Daphile.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Diapason wrote:I installed Daphile on a USB stick this afternoon and I'm using it with my NUC just to try it out. Sounds great, I have to say. I suspect this will be a long-term solution for the sitting room system as the USB drive makes it easy to turn the NUC from movie player to proper audio player with just a reboot. At the very least, it seems to do better than XBMC/Kodi for sonics on music, which isn't all that surprising since I'm struggling to set that up to be bit-perfect.

Anyway, yay Daphile.
if only there was people to advise on audio pc's :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've seen the other thread. I'd say poor Steve is bamboozled already!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Yes information overload
I understand the i just wanna listen to music problem
But its more important to get something quality
And not to take what's been handed to you

Itemaudio has the most logical practical templates for audio PCs
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'll be watching the thread closely anyway, but I'm waiting for your all-singing, all-dancing build, Nige.
joelha

Post by joelha »

Claus wrote:Sounding very good so far. Had to to restart a few times, but found out that I had to ensure my Dac was chosen as the audio device or it would default to the pc sound card.

Listening to a few radio stations today from Seattle and Denmark. Great sound for what it is and brilliant for casual listening and discovering new/ old music.

Kexp
Alligator
Danish radio
Hi Claus,

When you mention "great sound for what it is", I'm wondering if there's a player which you believe sounds better than Daphile.

If so, I'm certainly interested in learning what it is.

Thanks,

Joel
Hifidelit

Post by Hifidelit »

I had a customer buy one of my A-Tech kits and I was curious to know what he was going to use so I asked him and he said Daphile. I asked him what he thought and this is part of his reply:
I must say that my sound quality opinion is based using Plinius classe A power amp + Magnepan 2.7 speakers + Hegel HD 20 DAC and a sensitive ears in the proper room. Probably without them the gains are marginal.
I give a relative improvement
Daphile - 40% from windows 8
In my opinion the Linux OS never reached the level of windows 2012 audio quality level. However after an audition with Daphile OS I never looked back and knowed that the futures improvements must be on hardware.
My hardware setup is better than the needs of Daphile OS however sometimes I will use the PC with Kodi Media Center
I found that very interesting but haven't built one myself yet.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

all linux ive tried has been poor at micro detail, and is more dependant on hardware and power implementation than windows with all the bells and whistles r2, ao etc
however daphile certainly isnt a slouch and has its place at least for useability and cost

i had tested it versus jplay 5 on one of my builds and seemed to be much on a par

jplay 6 is a good bit better than 5 so i dunno were it stands today vs daphile

daphile should be an os option surely

also untapped sales opportunity for rpi and bbb builds with reclocking i2s dacs

i had a clean powered reclocked rpi preform as good as daphile on one of my audio pcs and thats at a fraction of the cost

end of day still get better performance out of heavily modded audio pc and windows so i just jump through all the hoops