Sound of my set-up

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ivor

Re: Sound of my set-up

Post by Ivor »

sumotan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm Hi Ivor
This clip is played by Archie Shepp Quartet.

Cheers
Wow! I have some Shepp recordings! Maybe something was lost via iPhone.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 am Thank you Cybot & HifiFan for your comments.
Will try another recording. Yes it's a ML Odyssey with modified XO. This is about the only thing that I've kept when I was caught up in spending crazy money for hifi way back when Cybot.
My palette of musical genre is just too wide & this makes it very difficult to voice the equipment to sound right in all genres & this is why it has taken me the better part of 3.5 yrs to get to what I want the system to sound like. For me it's all about voicing & the control of energy.

Thanks again

You're welcome sumotan. Yes, I can empathise with that 'crazy money" bit. We are just suckers for all the unbelievable claims made by manufacturers etc etc. I'll stop right there!

I admire your attempts to voice the equipment to sound right with all genres. I've been trying doing that all my life. Read long! Anyway when you do get it right whether by the diy route or otherwise it's still a very frustrating compromise.

You say it's all about voicing and control of energy. Why would you want to control the energy? Should it not be embraced? No energy. No life. I know what you mean but surely a tiny bit of control is all that's needed otherwise the soprano will sound strangled as they say in the ads!

That Shepp piece and, particularly, following on from my comments above, should be bursting with energy as Shepp himself is one energetic mother! Here's something from an Impulse! compilation I have which states :

"Shepp's music is known for its mix of asymmetrical melodies and exaggerated tones that strike an unlikely balance between romanticism and avant garde fury".

No wonder Ivor was perplexed 😕

Oh and welcome to the Forum......
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Hi Guys
Maybe something was lost on the phone but I've heard this pc in other set ups & it sounds just like this but having perhaps less bloom then my set up.
Letting music bloom & sounding natural is my first priority followed by transparency, equilibrium in frequency balance, realism etc. Yes it's a tall order but its also very rewarding to learn during this adventure.

Re my remarks on controlling energy Cybot its about how energy kept & release. This comes from transformers & capacitors. It's a philosophy that I work on & the approach that I use will be heresy to many EE's. For every component that I tested be resistors or capacitors, I've learned their sonic signatures which in ways gives me an idea on where to use them on but at the same time it can be wrong too cause if a cap sounds got here does not mean it will sound good in another location. Goes for resistors too.

Let me try another recording .
Thanks again
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Hi Guys
A little help pls. Posted a clip link. On preview its there but after I submit the link disappeared.
What did I go wrong ?

Thks
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Another clip. Think mic on the phone does not like piano music that much. lol

cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:35 pm Hi Guys
Maybe something was lost on the phone but I've heard this pc in other set ups & it sounds just like this but having perhaps less bloom then my set up.
Letting music bloom & sounding natural is my first priority followed by transparency, equilibrium in frequency balance, realism etc. Yes it's a tall order but its also very rewarding to learn during this adventure.

Re my remarks on controlling energy Cybot its about how energy kept & release. This comes from transformers & capacitors. It's a philosophy that I work on & the approach that I use will be heresy to many EE's. For every component that I tested be resistors or capacitors, I've learned their sonic signatures which in ways gives me an idea on where to use them on but at the same time it can be wrong too cause if a cap sounds got here does not mean it will sound good in another location. Goes for resistors too.

Let me try another recording .
Thanks again
Letting music 'bloom' is good but not too much. Ah I get you re: the ' kept' energy.
cybot

Post by cybot »

sumotan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm Another clip. Think mic on the phone does not like piano music that much. lol

I'm hearing that 'bloom' again with a very rich bass heft. I'm also hearing a slightly overdriven/distorted sound which is absolutely crying out for air/space. Whether that's because of the iPhone mic I don't know. What are your own listening impressions? Are you hearing what we're hearing?

As a matter of interest how would you create more air/space,transparency etc etc?
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Agreed Cybot. Not too much bloom cause music will end up blur especially with multiple instruments where by they'll get lost in the mix.
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

That overdriven sound is from the phone hence my commence. Perhaps I should reduce the recording volume a little.
sumotan

Post by sumotan »

Creating space comes from the control of energy part & also the type of caps used & it's value. Go too low it will sound loose & blur, go too high it will sound too tight & lifeless. As for transparency that comes from type of caps used so one has to know the sonic signature of the caps. I do not use only 1 type or brand of caps on my build. At anytime you'll see at least 6 different brands of caps on my build. It's a very time consuming process as I only tweak 1 spot at a time & there's lots of wastage especially caps where I'll try different types & values but still it's so much cheaper then buying branded commercial products. lol