JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
wademcinnis

SXS and DCOM

Post by wademcinnis »

I know on my last install I got down to very few services running. Pretty sure DCOM was disabled.

There are a few you cannot delete (until we get to the point we can delete the .dll). I kept BACKGROUND stuff running but did not see what would happen without it.

As far as I know SXS is about multiple users. We got rid of it with XP but you did have to get to a certain point in deletions before it could be removed and still boot. This SXS file is FAR more complicated than XP's and might be more intertwined. We'll see.

I have made attempts at removals that have not worded out.

Take care,
wademcinnis

Reading more about SXS

Post by wademcinnis »

and I see it is not what I thought I had heard it was.

In SERVER it is a file store containing most of the files that are hard linked to it from the other folders.

One would think if the file is removed from another folder it could be deleted here. The question is: after you delete from the folder will it simply be re-installed at your next boot.

Check and see if your deletions from System64 actually stayed deleted.

Look at this: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-doj ... nexe/1060/ and this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-8 and look at the other stuff linked to that.

I was hoping those .cat files would take care of this but SERVER is lots more intricate than XP!

Looks like we get to figure out which services we can delete and still so some of these deletion operations before we disable them before we lose the ability to use ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS entirely.

I get the feeling I might wear out my OS SDD with installs before this is figured out.

Going to use JC's security crasher tonight. During one of my registry permissions changing sessions opened up SAM and SECURITY and I should have written down what I did. Haven't been able to get to happen since. Deleting and changing entries here made a big difference in XP.
jesuscheung

Re: JC Audiophile optimization on win7, 2012, and R2.

Post by jesuscheung »

hey wademcinnis, is there proper way to delete guest account in XP?
wademcinnis

Post by wademcinnis »

JC, I did find a way to do that last night.

It is within ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS, but I think I entered AT from Server Manager. I was more interested in trying to access the DISK CLEANUP stuff I posted about, which seems to not exist within this OS.

I did not check to see if it REALLY deleted GUEST. WINDOWS loves to bring things back as you know.

But I will and let you know.

To repeat - the stuff I linked to about DISK CLEANUP does not apply to SERVER 2012.

Oh, well ...
wademcinnis

Removing guest and opening SAM and SECURITY

Post by wademcinnis »

To remove guest:
Local Security Policy
Security Settings
Local Policies
Security Options
Accounts Guest Account Settings
Disabled

Turns out I did have SAM and SECURITY "open" - all that is required is to change ownership to EVERYONE and click the box to have it copy the change.
- add EVERYONE and give it permission to do everything and disable inheritances.

I think you have to re-boot for it to display. Lots of stuff here to get rid of but I bet it will require one at a time deletions which I have not begun. I will post when I am finished.

Tried LOCK PAGES IN MEMORY which was something cics did with cPLAY - not sure if it does anything useful. Follow the instructions at the cMP website.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

wademcinnis wrote: To repeat - the stuff I linked to about DISK CLEANUP does not apply to SERVER 2012.
you can look up my post on cleaning things up on 2012/win8/R2. they are MS supported. low risk. hehe
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

updated tweak on services
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456&p=48859#p48859

provided a script to restore deleted services.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

internethandle wrote: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\OLE

In the right pane, look for the string "EnableDCOM" and set the Value to N. (The default setting is Y)."
finally got chance to test this!
vocal decay went wrong.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

cancelled:
----TWEAK 34----
defrag your registry

didn't improve SQ last time i tried. so restored PC.
damage SQ this time i tried.

cancel.
wademcinnis

Ntregopt

Post by wademcinnis »

Ever tried this?

Not a registry defragmenter.

An important part of getting a 24K config file in XP.

THAT is never gonna happen with this thing, I do not think.

I tried deleting one single unimportant entry in SAM and no boot. Even when I placed it back in from another machine also running Server 2012 the installation was destroyed.

This OS is very different from XP. Very protective.

The only chance we have is if the fellow who came up with nLite turns his attention to Server or 8.1.