What are you listening to?

mcq

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

Many thanks, Sean, that's very kind.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Not only I, but Goethe, Haydn, Karl Böhm, Charles Dutoit, Sören Kierkegaard, Arthur Rubinstein, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Ferenc Fricsay, Eugéne Delacroix, Johannes Brahms, Anton Bruckner, Giuseppe Verdi, Lucchino Visconti, Ingmar Bergman and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau among many others thought so.

Once Rossini was asked who was the greatest composer, he answered: Beethoven, and when asked about Mozart he said: Mozart was not a composer, he was Music itself.
Who am I to argue with them? Was any thought given to Bach I wonder? I must say that I have mentioned Mahler, Beethoven, Haydn, Mozart, et al, on other forums and on Facebook too and none elicits the adoration that Bach attracts.
No composer ever was more celebrated (concerts, recordings, lectures, expositions, etc) than Mozart in the 1992 Bicentennial, not even Bach in 1985.
Mozart is the most recorded composer ever, and the one most often recorded.
He also was #1 in a survey among the USA top symphony orchestras of who was their favorite composer.

And did you know that Mahler´s last word before he died was "Mozart"?
I didn't know that, perhaps he saw the face of God? ;)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

mcq wrote:Das Lied von der Erde, which is perhaps Mahler's finest single achievement, is given a transcendent performance of great depth and emotional sweep, beautifully sung by Violeta Urmana and Michael Schade, and informed throughout by Boulez's trademark clarity of line in which each phrase is lovingly sculpted and every nuance in the score gently teased out for maximum expressivity.
I agree: I remember being bowled over by Boulez's Das Lied when it first came out. I still think it's probably the best I've heard. His recordings of the orchestral songs are irresistible too.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Ciaran wrote:
mcq wrote:Das Lied von der Erde, which is perhaps Mahler's finest single achievement, is given a transcendent performance of great depth and emotional sweep, beautifully sung by Violeta Urmana and Michael Schade, and informed throughout by Boulez's trademark clarity of line in which each phrase is lovingly sculpted and every nuance in the score gently teased out for maximum expressivity.
I agree: I remember being bowled over by Boulez's Das Lied when it first came out. I still think it's probably the best I've heard. His recordings of the orchestral songs are irresistible too.
Oh Lord, have you heard Bruno Walter´s Das Lied von der Erde with Kathleen Ferrier? or Klemperer´s with Christa Ludwig? and what about Haitink´s with Janet Baker?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Ciaran wrote:
Oh Lord, have you heard Bruno Walter´s Das Lied von der Erde with Kathleen Ferrier? or Klemperer´s with Christa Ludwig? and what about Haitink´s with Janet Baker?
Haitink's is wonderful, it's my favourite. I have the Klemperer, Reiner, Bertini, Rosbaud and Runnicles, I have yet to listen (attentively) to the Klemperer, Reiner, Rosbaud and Bertini.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Had a Renaissance music session earlier, suitably on vinyl LOL!

That second LP is riotously wonderful in places with a real party like atmosphere on a number of tracks!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jose Echenique wrote:
I simply adore Ferrier's voice and, like you, find her work with Mahler astounding in its reach into the sublime. Quite a recording!
Peter

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:Had a Renaissance music session earlier, suitably on vinyl LOL!

That second LP is riotously wonderful in places with a real party like atmosphere on a number of tracks!
That seems like a fabulous evening. I hope you had plenty of wine to accompany your Renaissance romp!

Peter

Post by Peter »

Listening to Rooley's Monteverdi:

Had a great time earlier listening to Verdi's Aida (Callas/Tucker/Gobi/Serafin [EMI}). I was comparing it to Tebaldi's Aida, but I must say that I prefer Callas in the role. There is just something about her voice. I think I have a severe crush on her voice at the moment.