What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:Hi Ciaran,
Welcome back. Any new hifi purchases planned for the coming year? ;-)
Hi Dave!

Given that, as a public servant, I am being bled white so that the Government can give billions to their chums the bankers and developers, I don't think I can afford any hi-fi purchases. But I've said I couldn't afford it before and then given in to temptation. The thing is that I'm very satisfied with my current system and I suspect any advances are going to be really pricey.

One possibility though is acquiring some means to play hi-rez audio files. Possibly the Squeezebox Touch whenever it becomes available? I think that's in the low hundreds of euros.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:Image
That looks familiar!

How are you getting on with your recently upgraded system?
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Schubert's 5th Symphony, O of the 18C, Brüggen: a delightful period instrument performance of a most endearing work.

Vivaldi Dixit Dominus (only rediscovered in 2005) performed by Sara Mingardo, Roberta Invernizzi, Paul Agnew, Thomas Cooley and the Körnerscher Sing-Verein Dresden and Dresdner Instrumental-Concert under Peter Kopp. Wonderful, and beautifully recorded by DG Archiv:

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ciaran,

have a look over in the general section where John Kenny has been tricking about with 24/192 USB to SPDIF adaptors. Then that could feed into your DCS.....

Now that is something I would like to hear.....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

^^

Well obviously it has to be something that will feed the dCS Scarlatti DAC! Anything else would be a waste of time... so thanks for that suggestion.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Its only about €100 or so, I think the bnc version is a little more. Jkeny has one so you could even hear it before buying.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:How are you getting on with your recently upgraded system?
Its working great and brought some definite improvements to the overall sound. I changed the Krell for a GamuT D200MK111 power amp + Music First preamp + 2 Valhalla XLR interconnects, so the upgrade was a big one. The biggest change came in micro dynamics and a much lower noise floor. Listening at lower volumes is now much more involving. I found that with the Krell, I had to have it turned up a bit to get enough details to emerge from the music.
The krell though has it beat when it comes to wide dynamics and bass but the benefits that the new gear brings outweighs this I feel.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
That one is on my Wish List.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra