New JKDAC32 USB DAC

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Fran
Site Admin

Re: New JKDAC32 USB DAC

Post by Fran »

Yes, fideliser still makes a difference...

I very much doubt that it streams in hires but I haven't used it yet...
Do or do not, there is no try
tony

Post by tony »

Yes I would be a bit shocked if it was hires ,sorry I was referring to HDTracks site and they only play a portion of the track so couldnt see the point of them streaming unless it was what they are selling.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Jaysus, I'm only seeing these posts now - I don't seem to get email notifications.

I'm blushing guys - thanks for all the words of encouragement.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
kyrill

Post by kyrill »

Hi ppl

I stumbled upon this thread with very valuable information.
I am a fond admirer of John and a proud owner of his MK2 interface
It is a pity I cannot use his DACs as I have build in DAC's in my DEQX preamp.

John used as a source a laptop, which I did for a year. Then I followed Marcin's strong suggestion to use a dedicated computer. ( microATX intel board) Marcin being the partner of Josef, the programmer behind JPlay. SO I did for a mere 60€ for the mobo, same for 8 gig Geil top memory and 180€ for an Intel quad 2500T, it blew my laptop away. NO comparison. I must say I added Windows 8 (free) and OLIMEX* (50 €) galvanic USB isolator and audiophile USB cable ( Wireworld Starlight, entree level audiphile USB cable 88UK pound) between SSD and mobo.
*Used the OLIMEX also with the laptop, so that is not the reason why the "dedicated" "hot rod" PC sounds so much better

kyrill
Setup:

Hot ROD PC with 3M EMI absorbers on the ANTEC CP850 PSU, JKenny MK2 direct link with PC ( No USB cable), 2 SSD in apart enclosure with dedicated linear high end 5V power, one with Windows, one with music files, Wirewlrod USB cables, Olimex, Furutech silver SPDIF cable,modded DEQX with i.a. 0.2ps clock and bybee power, 2 heavily modded JAdis DA-5 amps, 400Watt servo amps and 4 servo OB woofers, OB midrange Visaton B200 coated with Ennemoser C37 lacquer, Ribbon tweeters
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Kyrill,
And welcome to another friendly forum!
Great first post & much appreciate your remarks.

Very interesting information!
Can you give some links to suitable MOBO, etc.
Why is the Intel quad 2500T? This is a graphics card, right? Is it necessary?

Did you try a direct USB connect? Does it make any difference on the SSD connection?

I've been meaning to build a dedicated PC for music playing for a while now & this is just the prod I needed, thanks!

kyrill wrote:Hi ppl

I stumbled upon this thread with very valuable information.
I am a fond admirer of John and a proud owner of his MK2 interface
It is a pity I cannot use his DACs as I have build in DAC's in my DEQX preamp.

John used as a source a laptop, which I did for a year. Then I followed Marcin's strong suggestion to use a dedicated computer. ( microATX intel board) Marcin being the partner of Josef, the programmer behind JPlay. SO I did for a mere 60€ for the mobo, same for 8 gig Geil top memory and 180€ for an Intel quad 2500T, it blew my laptop away. NO comparison. I must say I added Windows 8 (free) and OLIMEX* (50 €) galvanic USB isolator and audiophile USB cable ( Wireworld Starlight, entree level audiphile USB cable 88UK pound) between SSD and mobo.
*Used the OLIMEX also with the laptop, so that is not the reason why the "dedicated" "hot rod" PC sounds so much better

kyrill
Setup:

Hot ROD PC with 3M EMI absorbers on the ANTEC CP850 PSU, JKenny MK2 direct link with PC ( No USB cable), 2 SSD in apart enclosure with dedicated linear high end 5V power, one with Windows, one with music files, Wirewlrod USB cables, Olimex, Furutech silver SPDIF cable,modded DEQX with i.a. 0.2ps clock and bybee power, 2 heavily modded JAdis DA-5 amps, 400Watt servo amps and 4 servo OB woofers, OB midrange Visaton B200 coated with Ennemoser C37 lacquer, Ribbon tweeters
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
kyrill

Post by kyrill »

Hi John
thx :)

Improve yr DACS with an optional update by using 1mm 3M EMI absorbers, they are self gluing, use them on the inside "walls" of the aluminum enclosures.

"1Can you give some links to suitable MOBO, etc. recommended is Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3 motherboard, but I did Gigabyte Gigabyte H61MA-D3V as it is a tad newer with more modernity, like more protection against aging, moisture and so on.
Why is the Intel quad 2500T? This has a build in graphics card, right? Is it necessary? Yes, it is a CPU of only 95 watts max, 45 watts norma The on board graphics makes a a simpler computer. The less electronics the better , less interference, less RFI/EMI. The moderate watts makes a passive cooler possible. I do not use a fan* and in my room ambient temp 21 Celsius, temp of CPU does not exceed 50 degrees withh passive coolingl after a playlist in hibernation (JPLay)*In the summer I will use the one which is already part of my very good reviewed cooler, but the fan is NOT connected to the mobo but to its own dedicated cheapy 5V . The same as for the fan inside the Antec PWS, it also has its own cheapy 5V swpws

Did you try a direct USB connect? Yes between Computer and MK2, not between SSD enclosure (build in sata/usb converter) and mobo Does it make any difference on the SSD connection?" Probably yes, only difficult to do, not enough room to mechanically support SSD in direct link.

Absolutely necessary for high end sound that sounds more analogue, is
1) OS and music files, both on a dedicated SSD -outside the mobo each SSD in its own aluminum enclosure (preferably not iron. Iron reflects EMI much better than aluminum, which is worse within an enclosure)- with its own good linear power supply. digital switching pws broadcast RFI in abundance. 2,5"SSD/HDD needs only 5V. The 3,5" enclosures need 12V in. But they need 5V as well, so the SATA/USB enclosure introduces a nasty switching 12->5V converter, which is absent for 2,5" disks
2)The Olimex. A picky USB 1.1 galvanic isolator. It sounds gorgeous though. ppl who can spend some money can replace the Olimex with Adnaco S3B, a fiber based isolator with very low jitter. The effect of both is diminishing the link to an electronic source. It sounds more natural, less an electronic recording of the natural.This last thing is for me is of number one importance (musicality) next to transparency which renders 3D

I had 1) and 2) on my laptop too and oh so sweet is the sound, no glare, transparency in spades. Still I updated to a "hot rod " PC ( no enclosure) and was só surprised by the SQ improvement. I expected a "nice" improvement, not a big one. Transparency and micro-micro details go up a notch or two
Last edited by kyrill on Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony

Post by tony »

Ok John When do we return the dacs for the 3m emi upgrades? Have you figured out the cost of that PC config? Is that potentially the way of incorporating the dac into a minimalist PC?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
kyrill

Post by kyrill »

Tony
You can easily do that yourself (EMI absorbers)

As for integrating the DAC into a miniPC... would open a different slice of the market..

Lol John, you would be the first. But it will be much more expensive but easily within the knowledge and capability of John. The trick will be to find a nice aluminum enclosure. For instance like some beautiful ones for htpc. As the enclosure is so much bigger it cannot be "ugly" or plastic"

There will be a market for it and can be "build" in modules. So the dac can be updated in the future. All internal interferences will be damped by 3M solutions.
two versions are foreseeable a high end for the "masses" and a no barrels hold super high end which will dethrone most if not all alternatives
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Not to put a damper on things but the major cost would be in the area of support. Believe me, the hand-holding required would be substantial based on my experience. We are talking about selling advanced computer technology into the consumer market = nightmare!

Guys, just think about your experiences/learning curve with my DACs & extrapolate it :)
kyrill wrote:Tony
You can easily do that yourself (EMI absorbers)

As for integrating the DAC into a miniPC... would open a different slice of the market..

Lol John, you would be the first. But it will be much more expensive but easily within the knowledge and capability of John. The trick will be to find a nice aluminum enclosure. For instance like some beautiful ones for htpc. As the enclosure is so much bigger it cannot be "ugly" or plastic"

There will be a market for it and can be "build" in modules. So the dac can be updated in the future. All internal interferences will be damped by 3M solutions.
two versions are foreseeable a high end for the "masses" and a no barrels hold super high end which will dethrone most if not all alternatives
www.Ciunas.biz