Tellurium Q Black speaker cable.

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Ivor

Tellurium Q Black speaker cable.

Post by Ivor »

My 5 metre lenghts of Tellurium Q Black speaker cable arrived this morning but I won't get home until after 10pm. Really I'd have to take the entire rack apart to pop the new cables in properly but I may find a shortcut using a miners lamp and mirrors. Reports of these unassuming beats are very good so (obviously!) I'm optimistic.
Will report back soon.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Re: Tellurium Q Black speaker cable.

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:My 5 metre lenghts of Tellurium Q Black speaker cable arrived this morning but I won't get home until after 10pm. Really I'd have to take the entire rack apart to pop the new cables in properly but I may find a shortcut using a miners lamp and mirrors. Reports of these unassuming beats are very good so (obviously!) I'm optimistic.
Will report back soon.
Can't wait! I've heard extremely good reports....Enjoy :-)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

let me start off by stating that while I might be a believer in decent quality cables for mains and interconnects I've never put too much importanace on speaker cables. Mainly their job is not to mess it up! Deliver the signal, don't colour it, don't lose any of it and don't cost a fortune. Given that IMHO my system is already quite a high resolution system and capable of delivering realistic detail and soundstage I have been slow to even consider an upgrade except in isolation or, at a push, speaker cable.
I had read about Tellurium Q Black speaker cable on several forums and was intrigued by what ordinary users had found. So much so that I has discussed it with David in KronosAV but never actually nade the order. In the meantime I occasionally read more reviews and forum discussions and got curious about these "wonder cables"!
I ordered them last week and David posted them to me here at teh shop, great service from KronosAV as always.
Now it was late when I got home but I managed to fit the new cables without having to dismantle the rack (I will do this in a few days time anyway) and left the system to warm up for a while as I got a well deserved cup 'a tea.

Initial impressions, taken between 11pm and 2am, are that these cables deliver a huge level of detail without any of the feared clutter that can come with great detail. Every instrument is given space to be heard on it's own and that "space" in turn provides a huge and stable 3D soundstage. And I mean HUGE. I suspect I'd need full planning permission to play a Phil Spector album. Perhaps it was my choice of tracks but percussion in particular seemed to be revealed. Subtle little flicks of a snare drum or a marima. Percussion too in the sense of a piano key being pressed (or 'perc' on an organ) and the click of a plectrum on a guitar string. I would have always known the difference between a fingernail and a plectrum but now I had a good idea of the gauge plectrum used. Vocals too were clearer, lyrics which previously washed by me were now demanding I listen.

There was also a loss of bass extension, the bass was still there and very "true" but not as deep. Treble might be a bit sharp too but this could well be a true reflection of recordings too. Who ever knows the answer to that one? These can probably be cured by speaker position and may improve with 'burn in' - David tells me that the cables initially sound greta, then "go away" and come again better than ever. Weird I know but hey... this is cable country we're wandering around in. The wise men of the internet do say it improves over time so let's see. Early days.

Written in the shop between customers! excuse typos!

One thing I really like about this upgrade is that it will improve both CD and vinyl playback... so often it's one or the other.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Great stuff Ivor! Hope the "burn-in" does the all round trick. If you don't me asking, how much were they? Not bi-wired, I assume.... Anyway as I said, ENJOY...
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: If you don't me asking, how much were they? Not bi-wired, I assume....
£470 sterling for 5 metres single run, so £47 a metre terminated with nice Z banana plugs. Not mad money at all but I do need 10 metres of the stuff!

cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: If you don't me asking, how much were they? Not bi-wired, I assume....
£470 sterling for 5 metres single run, so £47 a metre terminated with nice Z banana plugs. Not mad money at all but I do need 10 metres of the stuff!
I know the feeling! Thanks for the info anyway....even if was 47 cent a metre I'd be hung,drawn and quartered for even thinking it ;-))))
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Ivor

I would be happy to burn the speaker cables in for you on my cable burner free of charge
for a week or so if you like.

let me know.

Regards.

Andy
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Andy S wrote:Ivor

I would be happy to burn the speaker cables in for you on my cable burner free of charge
for a week or so if you like.

let me know.

Regards.

Andy
Thanks Andy, very generous of you, but they're getting a fair bit of burning here anyway! As often happens a new piece in the puzzle has me going through stuff I haven't heard in years. My listening might be late at night but it has suddenly increased 10 fold!

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I think it’s the current issue of Sterophile that mentions Emmylou Harris – Wrecking Ball as one of those “discs to die for” or somesuch and it prompted me to get the old girl out again and give her a spin. Since its release in 1995 it’s been one of my favourite albums both musically and for its incredible production courtesy of Daniel Lanois. It has become something of a reference CD too. Not one that shouted “test disc” on its arrival but one that always shows improvements (or the opposite) when something in the system is changed.
I popped it on last night and wow… speaker cable again justified its existence. The snap of the snare, the plumy bass, the percussion that was coming from the very back of the studio, Emmylou’s vocals coming from five feet in front of me. Every sound in its own space.
It was a bit like listening to a re-recording or “remastered” version of an album I knew every note of – or thought I did.

Claus

Post by Claus »

Great to hear Ivor! I love that album too and had that same experience when I got the BAT cd player: I just could no believe what I heard on an album I thought I knew. The sound is also very 3D or something on this album.... Maybe because there is a sense of "space" in the mix?

I would love to do a comparison with my own cables (the cheapo chinese silver) if we ever get a chance. I can generally hear so infinitely little difference between cables except for when Lars (nordost) tells me I have BAAAAAD sound and then feel guilty and of course admit that I have bad sound....or bad hearing...? :D