Recommended Books

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Jared

Re: Recommended Books

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks Fran.. very useful stuff. I hadn't expected anyone on such a small website to have read any of her work, to be fair.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

That book was called " the long road home "

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ finished reading 'Two Caravans' several days ago and forgot to post... my initial impressions seemed to carry through the book; astute individual observations and descriptions, but the 'road story' plot was a bit messy and contrived to say the least... Vulk turning up in Sheffield was laughable... overall it was worth the read, but not as good as her debut, and I have to say, I'm in two minds about 'We're all made of Glue'.

anyway, just started:

the new one by Paul Torday: The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall..

... I do enjoy his books, very much.
Seán

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Jared wrote:^^ thanks Fran.. very useful stuff. I hadn't expected anyone on such a small website to have read any of her work, to be fair.
We continue to surprise each other. This is good.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:anyway, just started:

the new one by Paul Torday: The Legacy of Hartlepool Hall..

... I do enjoy his books, very much.
just finished this one... another good read, although more straight forward than usual, with fewer twists and turns. always a pleasure mind...

you know for me, the height of 21st Century decadence is to be able to lie in bed of a morning, finish off a great book on your Amazon Kindle, then order your next one, have it downloaded and read the first chapter, before getting out of bed!

Next up: Mark Watson: Eleven
Jared

Post by Jared »

Ivor wrote:
Jared wrote:^^ thanks Fran.. very useful stuff. I hadn't expected anyone on such a small website to have read any of her work, to be fair.
We continue to surprise each other. This is good.
oh, there's no doubt about it Ivor; there are some quality people on this forum... ;-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:Next up: Mark Watson: Eleven
well, the reading section has gone a little quiet of late... if anyone is interetsed, I can thoroughly recommend the above book... warm, funny, gentle, life-affirming and held my interest throughout... a quick and easy read, well worth the Euros...

next up: David Nicholls: The Understudy

Althouigh 'One Day' was written for a slightly younger audience than myself (with more than a whiff of the BBC3 about it) it was nevertheless very well written and deserving of it's critical acclaim, so I thought I'd give this one a go, for night-time reading.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Recently completed "Human Smoke The beginnings of WW2 and the End of Civilisation" by Nicholson Baker.

A most enlightening read, each page contains 1 to 2 paragraphs only, all excerpts of quotes from the various players in the early 1930's up to 1941. If you are interested in WW2 / European history then this is recommended.

Let the Good Times Roll...................
Seán

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler