A suggestion............

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Sloop John B

A suggestion............

Post by Sloop John B »

I know I'm in the "short trousers" brigade as far as this forum is concerned but way back when I was the one who railed against the "what are you listening to .........." thread on the old forum going the dual route and as such I really dislike the way "Everything else" has so many sub genres.

One of the attractions of threads such as these is their eclectic nature, being introduced to something you may not have otherwise.

So I propose we have a "what are you listening to (non-classical)" catch all thread rather than he electronica, americana, world etc sub genres.

anyone agree?

SJB
Fran
Site Admin

Re: A suggestion............

Post by Fran »

Its not that big a deal to merge the various threads, its only a little work.

So how about we need say, 10 votes looking for the change with no major objections?

Time to start your campaigns!!
Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Taking off my moderator hat for a moment and just giving a personal opinion, I wouldn't really be in favour of merging. I don't feel strongly about it, but I like the fact that if I want, say, jazz recommendations I know where to look. If I had to wade through a lot of posts on every genre, I would probably find it less useful. That's all IMHO of course.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

the reason there's different threads for different genres is that people on the old forum had to wade through post after post to find something relevant to their chosen genre. While having different sections allows me to go to exactly what I want straight away having one big 'catch-all' section is time consuming and a bit frustrating... and for what? Is there any advantage to having one big rambling thread covering all genres? If there is I can't see it. I know I have limited time and little inclination to dig through long threads about genres I would only have a passing interest in. There is plenty of opportunity for long rambling discussions on other threads and indeed no mod has ever asked for a thread to stay on topic. Indeed the shape of the forum currently was largely led by users who opened their own threads and sub forums. It has evolved organically with minimal input from mods.

There's nothing stopping anyone starting a thread on music generally but it would be a step backwards to insist we all follow one thread.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'd be against the thread merge too for reasons already stated above.

I'd have an additional suggestion though...

Can we have the various listening threads and the recent purchases threads made stickies? In the case of the less popular ones like Americana, Blues and World, they tend to drop down the list or occassionally drop off the 1st page.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

and I've a totally different take on it.

From other fora with similar threads one gets to know other posters, get a feel for their tastes and whether there may be any alignment with yours, so when you someone posts say a Rory Gallagher and a Thin Lizzy and then some exotic one I've never heard of I'm inclined to search it out. In the current format I don't see the exotic one as It's in Americana or World.

I suppose I'd like the listening thread to mirror how I listen, which could be Mozart followed by the Pixies followed by gamelan music. I don't listen to genres I listen to music. My favourite radio was John Peel when he would play anything from Sharon Shannon to New Fast Automatic Daffodils, via prince Far I.

I notice there is no inclination to separate the Classical into baroque, choral, neo-postmodernist romanacisim or whetever.
Is Rory Gallagher blues or rock?
Is Tinariwen world or blues?
Eileen Rose rock or Americana?

Are they all non-classical?

But hey, I may well be in the minority here.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote:
I suppose I'd like the listening thread to mirror how I listen, which could be Mozart followed by the Pixies followed by gamelan music. I don't listen to genres I listen to music. My favourite radio was John Peel when he would play anything from Sharon Shannon to New Fast Automatic Daffodils, via prince Far I.
And I listen in the exact same way (indeed my now defunct radio programme was like that too)... but I don't read threads like that. For instance the "world music" thread was started because someone asked for recommendations for that genre. They were not interested in rock or blues or Americana or whatever. What is gained by a merged meandering thread?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Ivor wrote:
Sloop John B wrote:
And I listen in the exact same way (indeed my now defunct radio programme was like that too)... but I don't read threads like that.
and I do read threads like that!

I can see where you're coming from and it's not a huge issue but I would certainly much prefer an eclectic merged thread. But alas I'm long enough on this planet God knows to have sung the Stones refrain to myself many's the time.

SJB
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Perhaps it might be possible to create a new thread which has everything else linked to it. This super thread would be closed for posting, but it would automatically update itself as posts are added to other threads.

That way if you want to just read one super mix thread it would be possible to do so, however to post on a particular topic i.e. elctronica, one would have to go to the electronica thread to submit a comment.

We could call it the "World Series Of Hi Fi Threads"... or the "Who's your Daddy Thread"... or the "Intergalactic Hi Fi Clusterf__k thread" all mixed by Judge Dread. O.k... O.K. I'm stopping now!!
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I tend to favour the seperate headings as before. One suggestion is that posters write some description of the music or why it interested them rather than posting the album cover.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!