Listening Project Calendar

Seán

Re: Listening Project Calendar

Post by Seán »

ravel30 wrote:I have one more question for you my friends and it is a rather important one. Should the chosen listening project be only one work that is, say, at most 80 minutes in length or could it be a series of work that take a reasonable amount of time to listen to. For example, would a full symphony cycle that takes 4 to 5 cds total be too much ? (This example may or may not be what I have in mind :) )

Matt
Matt, I agree with Simon, keep it "simple" don't try and tackle an entire cycle, one symphony is more than enough.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Seán wrote:
ravel30 wrote:I have one more question for you my friends and it is a rather important one. Should the chosen listening project be only one work that is, say, at most 80 minutes in length or could it be a series of work that take a reasonable amount of time to listen to. For example, would a full symphony cycle that takes 4 to 5 cds total be too much ? (This example may or may not be what I have in mind :) )

Matt
Matt, I agree with Simon, keep it "simple" don't try and tackle an entire cycle, one symphony is more than enough.
Thank you for your answers. I am now reassured I the idea of not imposing a project that is not realistic for some of you.
Good so I should come up with my final idea in a few days.

Kind regards,

Matt.
Jared

Post by Jared »

ravel30 wrote: would a full symphony cycle that takes 4 to 5 cds total be too much ?
Goodness me, Matt, you've just had me choking on my Nutburger and humus! Left to my own devices, I'd have chosen something obscure which Sean wouldn't like. The reason for my choice was because we have a number of forum members who don't listen to much CM, and I thought it would be a way of engaging them, perhaps because there's one or two disreputable, ageing rockers on this forum who still maintain a soft spot for ELP... ;-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's funny, Jared, I was thinking of that choice myself. I'll look forward to May!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

That is an interesting choice Jared and one that does not get a lot of play time through my stereo system so I look forward to learning loads from that particular discussion.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
james

Post by james »

If you are interested in Jared's suggestion of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as a listenning project then I would recommend this recording which is cheaper than Jared's suggestion ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mussorgsky-Pict ... 364&sr=1-1

I have lots of recordings of Pictures and this is my favourite .. Berman [the pianist] is brilliant.

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
ravel30 wrote: would a full symphony cycle that takes 4 to 5 cds total be too much ?
Goodness me, Matt, you've just had me choking on my Nutburger and humus! Left to my own devices, I'd have chosen something obscure which Sean wouldn't like. The reason for my choice was because we have a number of forum members who don't listen to much CM, and I thought it would be a way of engaging them, perhaps because there's one or two disreputable, ageing rockers on this forum who still maintain a soft spot for ELP... ;-)
Williams or Elgar, perhaps? Best to go for a symphonic work by Berwald, Myaskovsky, Alfvén or perhaps even Magnard, go for it Jared.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

james wrote:If you are interested in Jared's suggestion of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as a listenning project then I would recommend this recording which is cheaper than Jared's suggestion ...

I have lots of recordings of Pictures and this is my favourite .. Berman [the pianist] is brilliant.

james
Hi James,

Would you be interested in leading a discussion in one of our vacant monthly spots James. You would be more than welcome.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Claus

Post by Claus »

james wrote:If you are interested in Jared's suggestion of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as a listenning project then I would recommend this recording which is cheaper than Jared's suggestion ...

james
I am going to use my Guillou organ version that everyone hates just to be contrary!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Claus wrote: I am going to use my Guillou organ version that everyone hates just to be contrary!
I'm sure that will feature in my comments as well...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2