Listening Project Calendar

Seán

Re: Listening Project Calendar

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I propose to engage myself in the near future in a personal project of listening to and researching the background to Holst’s “The Planets”. It is a work that I have always liked and I have a number of versions of it in my collection and therefore I want to learn more about it. I am conscious of the fact that not everyone likes “The Planets” but I believe that it is one of those works that should be in every collection. Consequently I wonder if there would be any interest in my publishing my findings that I intend to gather from various internet sources and sleeve notes. I would propose to present it in the same format as we did in the monthly projects. If we are interested please let me know as this will determine how neatly I organize my notes!
Hi Fergus, as one who does not particularly like "The Planets" I would certainly be very interested in reading your thoughts on this work, at least it will encourage me to listen to the music afresh, I haven't listened to it for a couple of years and it's about time I did so.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I do like the planets... and know very little more than nothing about them, I'd be delighted to read more..!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

I will give it a go so. Just remember that we are now in the Six Nations Rugby season and that takes precedent over everything!!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:I will give it a go so. Just remember that we are now in the Six Nations Rugby season and that takes precedent over everything!!!!!
Quite right too, although at least there's a solid connection with Jupiter!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
fergus wrote:I will give it a go so. Just remember that we are now in the Six Nations Rugby season and that takes precedent over everything!!!!!
Quite right too, although at least there's a solid connection with Jupiter!
I was gonna say uranus but I am tooooooo polite to do that. ;)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well I meant an actual musical connection, but there's room for all of us!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Well I meant an actual musical connection, but there's room for all of us!
Thanks Simon.

1.Mars, the Bringer of War
2.Venus, the Bringer of Peace
3.Mercury, the Winged Messenger
4.Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity
5.Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
6.Uranus, the Magician
7.Neptune, the Mystic
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well now I'm lost...
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

8. Pluto - The Bringer of Slippers
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
james

Post by james »

Poor pluto has been downgraded !!

"...
Pluto, formal designation 134340 Pluto, is the second-most-massive known dwarf planet in the Solar System (after Eris) and the tenth-most-massive body observed directly orbiting the Sun.[h] Originally classified as the ninth planet from the Sun, Pluto was recategorized as a dwarf planet and plutoid owing to the discovery that it is only one of several large bodies within the Kuiper belt.
..."
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]