Listening Project Calendar

Diapason

Re: Listening Project Calendar

Post by Diapason »

I look forward to talking to myself for the month of June!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:I've been out of action for a while so not posting in the last while. Anyway I've been thinking what I'll be doing for the Sept slot. I'm still mulling it over but I think it will be Janáček's String Quartets or some of Bartók's String Quartets.
Dave, it's great that you're able to post occasionally... you've got plenty of time to mull it over, so please don't rush.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:I've been out of action for a while so not posting in the last while. Anyway I've been thinking what I'll be doing for the Sept slot. I'm still mulling it over but I think it will be Janáček's String Quartets or some of Bartók's String Quartets.
Either one would be an interesting challenge for us Dave.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Right, I'm going to risk your collective wrath and go for...

Henry Purcell's Ode on Saint Cecilia's Day 1692 ("Hail, Bright Cecilia") for June.

I imagine some of you (Seán!) are a bit horrified at that choice, but my thinking is that there's no point going for music that you all know backwards already. My introduction to this piece opened up a whole new world, and even if you come away hating it, I'd hope that I can at least explain what I like and admire about it. Time will tell if I can convert anyone...

(Just so we're clear, it's the 1692 Ode you're looking for, not the 1683 Ode which is called "Welcome to all the pleasures". We can save that for later!)
Good choice Simon; I am with you on that one and I will stay here for the month of June!! "Welcome to all the pleasures" might make a nice little coda at the end of the month (just to give you further encouragement!!).
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you Fergus! The silence was making me think I'd miscalculated even more seriously than I thought!!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Right, I'm going to risk your collective wrath and go for...

Henry Purcell's Ode on Saint Cecilia's Day 1692 ("Hail, Bright Cecilia") for June.

I imagine some of you (Seán!) are a bit horrified at that choice, but my thinking is that there's no point going for music that you all know backwards already. My introduction to this piece opened up a whole new world, and even if you come away hating it, I'd hope that I can at least explain what I like and admire about it. Time will tell if I can convert anyone...

(Just so we're clear, it's the 1692 Ode you're looking for, not the 1683 Ode which is called "Welcome to all the pleasures". We can save that for later!)
Gosh Simon, not at all, y'all have a dim view of me I fear, I am open to suggestions, I admit that Purcell does not immediately stir my loins but we'll see what this offering brings. I will be delighted to explore a piece of music that is entirely new to me, please advise on a couple of CDs that I might consider buying.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Either one would be an interesting challenge for us Dave.
I agree.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote: Gosh Simon, not at all, y'all have a dim view of me I fear, I am open to suggestions, I admit that Purcell does not immediately stir my loins but we'll see what this offering brings. I will be delighted to explore a piece of music that is entirely new to me, please advise on a couple of CDs that I might consider buying.
Excellent Sean, sorry for singling you out, I should have known you'd attack this little project in the spirit intended! I have a few recordings and they all have their merits. There are 5 major readings I think, Parrott, King, Gardiner, McCreesh and Herreweghe. I'd buy whichever is cheapest to get started.
james

Post by james »

I have just orderred this -- hope its the right one [Its two CD's]

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I ordered that myself a couple of days ago, James, so I hope so too!

Actually, just rechecked the track list and you get BOTH St Cecilia Odes in this set, 1683 and 1692. That might earn you bonus points!