Listening Project Calendar

Jared

Re: Listening Project Calendar

Post by Jared »

james wrote:If you are interested in Jared's suggestion of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' as a listenning project then I would recommend this recording which is cheaper than Jared's suggestion ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mussorgsky-Pict ... 364&sr=1-1

I have lots of recordings of Pictures and this is my favourite .. Berman [the pianist] is brilliant.

james
Thank you James... another great recommendation. I echo Fergus' sentiments; would you like to lead your own month, later in the year?

Claus: The same invitation is of course extended to you... :-)
Claus

Post by Claus »

I appreciate the trust Jared :)
I really don't feel very qualified despite being a trained primary school music teacher. Probably because of a limited exposure to classical music. If I was to do it I would most likely go for Carl Nielsen as he was born a few miles outside of my hometown and he is the only composer I feel I really know well (without knowing all of his work if that makes sense?)...... Ok..... I will do it! When is the next slot?
Jared

Post by Jared »

Claus wrote:I appreciate the trust Jared :)
I really don't feel very qualified despite being a trained primary school music teacher. Probably because of a limited exposure to classical music. If I was to do it I would most likely go for Carl Nielsen as he was born a few miles outside of my hometown and he is the only composer I feel I really know well (without knowing all of his work if that makes sense?)...... Ok..... I will do it! When is the next slot?
I Claus, that really is super news! If you're a school teacher, I've put you down for August (see first post in this thread) which will give you a bit of time during your school hols... would that be OK? I wouldn't worry too much about your perceived lack of knowledge of CM... there are many of us here in the same boat, which is why it makes it more fun and easy going.

Nielsen is a superb choice... there are a number of fans of his work here (myself included), so August will be something for many of us to look forward to. Have a think about which work you'd like to choose and I'll put it up on the calendar... no rush at this stage, though.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Great stuff! August is perfect for that exact reason :)
Now to choose a work....hmmm......
james

Post by james »

Thanks Fergus and Jared for the offer .. I have thought about it and I will accept.

I am not too sure what to choose .. I don't want to pick something too obscure in case most people don't have copies .. I am thinking of one of the following ..

Stravinsky : Rite of Spring
Shostakovich : Symphony 5
Messiaen : Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jésus [piano solo]

Which would you prefer ?

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Jared

Post by Jared »

james wrote:Thanks Fergus and Jared for the offer .. I have thought about it and I will accept.

I am not too sure what to choose .. I don't want to pick something too obscure in case most people don't have copies .. I am thinking of one of the following ..

Which would you prefer ?

James
James... That's great news! I'll put you down for July; will that be OK? Well, any of those three works will push me well outside my comfort zone, which has to be a good thing... I think that the important thing however is for YOU to choose the work. Take your time over it, there's no rush. When you've decided, I'll put it up on the 1st post for you... :-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Claus wrote:Great stuff! August is perfect for that exact reason :)
Now to choose a work....hmmm......
Good for you Claus....I am pleased that you are in!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

james wrote:Thanks Fergus and Jared for the offer .. I have thought about it and I will accept.

Which would you prefer ?

James
I am delighted that you have accepted James....that was brave of you!

The whole idea is to pick a work that you want to discuss and to give us your take on, so to speak.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am very pleasantly surprised at how quickly the calendar is filling up!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:I am very pleasantly surprised at how quickly the calendar is filling up!!
I'm not at all surprised Fergus... given the calibre of people on this forum...;-)