CHARLES MINGUS:LIVE IN BELGIUM, NORWAY, SWEDEN (1964)

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
jadarin

CHARLES MINGUS:LIVE IN BELGIUM, NORWAY, SWEDEN (1964)

Post by jadarin »

Spotted this on another site.Thought it might be of interest to some on this site..

mcq

Re: CHARLES MINGUS:LIVE IN BELGIUM, NORWAY, SWEDEN (1964)

Post by mcq »

Magnificent, just magnificent. The great man's 1964 touring group was his finest lineup, not only for the immortal Eric Dolphy but also for Jaki Byard, Clifford Jordan and Johnny Coles. And was there ever a more simpatico relationship than that of Dannie Richmond and Mingus? Just watch the drummer's eyes following the bassist's every move. And observe the grace and humility of Dolphy carefully listening and learning as his colleagues solo. And then when he takes a breath and launches into his solo. My God, priceless beyond words.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Re: CHARLES MINGUS:LIVE IN BELGIUM, NORWAY, SWEDEN (1964)

Post by Seán »

mcq wrote:Magnificent, just magnificent. The great man's 1964 touring group was his finest lineup, not only for the immortal Eric Dolphy but also for Jaki Byard, Clifford Jordan and Johnny Coles. And was there ever a more simpatico relationship than that of Dannie Richmond and Mingus? Just watch the drummer's eyes following the bassist's every move. And observe the grace and humility of Dolphy carefully listening and learning as his colleagues solo. And then when he takes a breath and launches into his solo. My God, priceless beyond words.
Paul, quoting your comments because I agree with everything you say. Mingus and Richmond were a marriage made in heaven and Dolphy was a wonderful musician, his was a sad loss.

Jadarin, thanks for posting that clip.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler