Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by jkeny »

Quick, Nige, get it all tidied & boxed up before some connection slips or powering sequence is wrong
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Really sorry I missed this meet up. It looks like the type of mess I could create except nothing would work!
Well done Nigel it looks anything but easy.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Sligolad wrote:OK could not resist to post a Pic of the best audio PC so far from Nige in all its naked glory....I expect it will get finally boxed up soon.
Apologies for the poor quality but these iPhones are really a pain sometimes just when you want t nice clear Pic.

They invented Lumia 1020, that may fix your photography.
The PC looks very kool!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

cvrle59 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:OK could not resist to post a Pic of the best audio PC so far from Nige in all its naked glory....I expect it will get finally boxed up soon.
Apologies for the poor quality but these iPhones are really a pain sometimes just when you want t nice clear Pic.

The PC looks very kool!
somethings are better in low definition :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

nige2000 wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:

The PC looks very kool!
somethings are better in low definition :)
I hope you're gonna put some manual for all this...:). I'm thinking about a "winter project", Hugo deserves better than now.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: somethings are better in low definition :)
It also protects intellectual property rights, Nige - the photographic equivalent of scratching off chip IDs :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

jkeny wrote:
It also protects intellectual property rights, Nige - the photographic equivalent of scratching off chip IDs :)
:)))
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
think its too late
pretty sure all the beans are well spilled
i see several similar solutions popping up, multiple power supplies, isolation etc
i know theres very few original ideas
can't all be coincidence
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
shoom

Post by shoom »

Hi Guys

I’m still pretty new here but thought that I’d pass on my recent building experiences just in case they may be useful for others.

Up until recently I had been using a D510MO MB which I built back in the day for use as a basic music player just for running Fubar.

Then I bumped into John Kenny on another forum who recommended that I try Jplay (John may remember me as the guy that thought WASAPI was a Japanese horse radish paste). So off I went and downloaded the original MK 1 Jplay and had a listen and it sounded better to my ears than straight Fubar so I bought in. TBH at the time the software seemed a little expensive but after at least 5 upgrades to Jplay all of which seemed to have a positive effect on SQ and stability my investment seems to have been a good one.

Anyhow that was my first build and I’ve spent a few years just marvelling in the fact that it actually works. I’m from the days where computers at school where unheard of so my PC knowledge is pretty basic but I’ve managed to get by.

The problem is that as Jplay has developed the need for a little more processing power and RAM became more apparent.

So after a little snooping around I came across this discussion.

http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/in ... -2.42-ghz/

Mmm interesting as the Atom boards are nice and easy to work with even for a ground floor builder like me.

But which board to buy?

The Giggabite variant looked good with two LAN connections and all but after investigation I found plenty of bios bug complaints which put me off a little.

ASrock also do some nice looking boards but Q1900TM-ITX use Atheros LAN Chipset which does not get on to well with Jplay or so I’ve read.

So I ended up plumping for this Asus model.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/J1900IC/

Which I found had all of the connectivity potential that I was looking for at a fair price if you shop around a little. It also has the extra P4 4 pin connector for powering the processor which leaves some room for experiment later.

So I have my unit set up with the well recommended Maplins linear PSU.8GB of RAM, PicoPSU 120, and Samsung pro SSD. W8.1 all in a Stream case. Its quiet, runs cool and feels like a sports care compared to my old 510 Cortina.

I have it running Jriver/Jplay for everyday use and Jplay mini for the deeper listening experiences.

Jplay is set to KS, native, Xtream, Direct link and it sounds great and runs flawlessly unlike my previous build which always needed the ASIO drivers of my WAVEIO to work reasonably well.

So anyone looking for a foothold into the world of Jplay but at the same time have an easy ride on the PC build could do worse than the Asus board.

I’ll be back for some pimp my ride suggestions later.

Lastly great work you are doing here.

It’s so nice to talk about things that interest me without the constant intervention of the PFPFM dinosaurs (but I see you have some lurking here also)

Thanks and ATB.
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Shaun, Looks like a nice mini board and the asus bios menu seems a lot easier than my capszuma standard intel board. I can see how the old horseradish mistake could happen! Might be easier to start a thread on a mini atx board. There is bound to be people interested. this thread has gone off the wall but is certainly a good read from the beginning for people interested in going off the planet on their build
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.