Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Hi Shaun, Looks like a nice mini board and the asus bios menu seems a lot easier than my capszuma standard intel board. I can see how the old horseradish mistake could happen! Might be easier to start a thread on a mini atx board. There is bound to be people interested. this thread has gone off the wall but is certainly a good read from the beginning for people interested in going off the planet on their build
Tony, have you done some tweaking in the BIOS of your Zuma?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
tony wrote:Hi Shaun, Looks like a nice mini board and the asus bios menu seems a lot easier than my capszuma standard intel board. I can see how the old horseradish mistake could happen! Might be easier to start a thread on a mini atx board. There is bound to be people interested. this thread has gone off the wall but is certainly a good read from the beginning for people interested in going off the planet on their build
Think I set some if it one day I was there

Still not mastered the Intel bios?
Certainly not as simple as other manufacters bios's
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

As outlined above I adjusted the ram voltage and clock speed. Yes there was some heavy breathing over my shoulder as I skilfully negotiated the intel bios settings but that was just a coincidence of timing!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

The one good part of the Intel Bios I miss on my currenr MSI board is the ability to go in and shut down all unused USB ports.

Post by tony »

Sligolad wrote:The one good part of the Intel Bios I miss on my currenr MSI board is the ability to go in and shut down all unused USB ports.
What you talking about Willis?? Did I miss something in my exhaustive adjustments?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Forgotten most of it now but I think there are 12 or 14 USB ports on the Intel Zuma board and I used to switch off all but the 2 or 3 i needed in Bios...might have some screenshots of that Bios page knocking about so will post if I find any.

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:
Think I set some if it one day I was there

Still not mastered the Intel bios?
Certainly not as simple as other manufacters bios's
That's why I asked! :(((
If anybody remember all the BIOS tweaking what improved the sound and how they did it?

I tried to find and disable the SpeedStep (EIST), Turbo, C-State, but I could not find them!!! I found the step by step instructions on Google, but when I'm going into my Zuma BIOS, there is always something missing! :(((((
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Nige2000,

I see in your signature that you have a Haswell I3 @ 800MHz. It is my understanding that Haswell I3s have the CPU multiplier locked. Please enlighten me how you achieved that.
Tks.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

There's no prob setting the frequency
Though I'm not familiar with the 1200kpr
Best ask some of the guys using that board
Usually just a matter of setting the multiplier to 8
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I wanted to say thank you to nige2000 for posting the info on modding a Silverstone USB card.

I was planning to buy an "audiophile" usb card, but I like the idea of DIY mods and saving money, so I ordered the 4 port Silverstone USB3.0 card, and modded it today.

In my mod I added a DC in jack to the bracket, and connect a little linear walwart to the jack, to feed it around 10VDC.

I also added a 7805 to provide power to the molex connector, so I don't need to connect anything to the molex in.
I have an Amanero card on the other side, but it receives 3.3VDC from another source, so the 5V USB only powers one chip.

At first I tried a fancy 3.3VDC regulator I had, but it takes too long to come up to 3.3, and the USB port didn't work.

So I just threw in a LM317 with a couple resistors and one cap across R2.

And a couple little pieces of tape to isolate the 3.3V pins of the connector and it worked :).

I'm running both the 7805 and the LM317 off of the DC jack with 10VDC. At some point I'll probably make or buy a better 3.3 reg to power the card with, but I got it working with an external reg so I'm happy.

I still need to buy an oscillator and power it so I can change out the crystal.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones