Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
magiccabbage

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by magiccabbage »

The DAC I am nearly decided on. It will more than likely be a Shiit Yggdrasil. Most of you guys have probably never heard of schiit unless you spend a lot of time on headfi. They are known for making headphone amps and cheaper DAC's but the new yggy DAC will be their flagship model. I know one or two guys who have heard it and say that it is comparable to the Bricasti M1 and MSB analogue DAC. It is designed by Mike Moffet who used to work for theta. The guy really knows his stuff and says that the yggy is the best DAC he has ever made at any price point - it will be around 2.3K. I will be happy enough if it performs at around the level of the AMR DP777 and have my doubts as to whether it will surpass anything like the MSB but we will see I suppose.

When you said about using the ethernet - does that mean that I will have to run a firewire cable to the router?
Would a wifi inside or near the chassis be a big no no???

Paddy
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

magiccabbage wrote:...... It will more than likely be a Shiit Yggdrasil.
Paddy

Check out driver support and USB compatibility. http://jplay.eu/forum/jplay/schiit-loki/

Others' opinions are nice, but did you hear one?
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
magiccabbage

Post by magiccabbage »

No but I should be getting it for review. Ill be doing a review of the Chord Hugo TT soon as well. If the Chord is better then I'll go with the chord but Im hoping the yggy will be good product.
magiccabbage

Post by magiccabbage »

Ill find out about the compatibility
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

what no jokes?

gonna need to do comparisons really
check compatibility etc
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
magiccabbage

Post by magiccabbage »

What do you mean by - "no jokes" ?
sebna

Post by sebna »

When do you plan to have it for a review? We could organize some meet as I am sure good few people around here would like to hear it both TT and new Shitt. For sure me! :) That is of course if you would be interested :)

Cheers,
seb
Last edited by sebna on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

magiccabbage wrote:What do you mean by - "no jokes" ?
just my warped sense of humour
It will more than likely be a Shiit Yggdrasil
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
magiccabbage

Post by magiccabbage »

Oh right - how did I miss that
tony

Post by tony »

That company I think purposely picked that name. Have heard their headphone amps at a Cloney show. They are very nice. That is some name for a dac(well for any product)

Fingers crossed the Raspberry pi turns out to be crap. A bit like having bought a betamax we need it to fail. What would we do with all that power supply crap we have all shelled out on.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.