Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:That company I think purposely picked that name. Have heard their headphone amps at a Cloney show. They are very nice. That is some name for a dac(well for any product)

Fingers crossed the Raspberry pi turns out to be crap. A bit like having bought a betamax we need it to fail. What would we do with all that power supply crap we have all shelled out on.
dont worry tony the raspberry pi audio accessories could be expensive too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

Guys,

I am preparing myself for attempting to implement some of the madness I read on this board & this trhead in my own CAS build. Oh my...
Step one is the parts-list. I cannot seem to find the wire (3.3V / 5V / 12V) you guys use for your stuff. I recall Nige putting it up someplace (brand, /shop?) but cannot find it...
Any help on the wire?

Also, any of you guys have any hands-on experience with Headway LifePo4 cells ? They come in BIG sizes, with caseholders and with screws at both ends (no soldering)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMFizC3H7k

Regards,
Hans
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Lowlands wrote:Guys,

I am preparing myself for attempting to implement some of the madness I read on this board & this trhead in my own CAS build. Oh my...
Step one is the parts-list. I cannot seem to find the wire (3.3V / 5V / 12V) you guys use for your stuff. I recall Nige putting it up someplace (brand, /shop?) but cannot find it...
Any help on the wire?

Also, any of you guys have any hands-on experience with Headway LifePo4 cells ? They come in BIG sizes, with caseholders and with screws at both ends (no soldering)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWMFizC3H7k

Regards,
Hans
i thought you ran for your life from this stuff :)

this is the sort of stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-meters-2-0mm- ... 0998604196

ill try dig up the list of recommended parts

cant find it.....
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Lowlands

Post by Lowlands »

nige2000 wrote: i thought you ran for your life from this stuff :)
I did.. :-) I took the coward route (awaiting my Teradak 275 ATX).
But that does not solve the getting the OS drive and USB card seperate rails thing. So that is what I'll be doing.
OS drive (SSD) will be on a plain USB battery pack, still don't know about PPA card. I might try feeding the PPA 5VSB direct from the Teradak (it's 2.2 amps max, coming of an LT1084 regulator; no clue how good that is). Alternatively, I'll need some battery config for the PPA than for the SSD (don't want to run the PPA of a USB battery pack), involving charger and regulation..
nige2000 wrote: this is the sort of stuff
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-meters-2-0mm- ... 0998604196
ill try dig up the list of recommended parts
Thanks!
I found some relais b.t.w. that should do the trick on the switching on/of of the battery power:
https://www.conrad.nl/nl/relaisplaat-re ... 03319.html
All screwdriver stuff !
Plan to use the 5V sata/molex coming off the standard ATX loom to switch.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Has anyone considered the worth of UEFI for music computers?

Just wondering?
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Didn't think it would have an effect
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

hmm
mobo clock mods
the cause of much hair loss
I was working on Adam's mobo trying to figure out why it'd been unstable with only just one clock
I'm starting to believe that I could buy 10 identical mobos and only a few would be stable with clock mods either mine or the ppa mobo clock as I've tried both
I pulled an old mobo out of the shed with two clocks on it with a fried internal usb header otherwise perfect
plugged her in and it's stable no issues whatsoever
go figure....
maybe there's a mobo model that will work everytime?
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:hmm
mobo clock mods
the cause of much hair loss
I was working on Adam's mobo trying to figure out why it'd been unstable with only just one clock
I'm starting to believe that I could buy 10 identical mobos and only a few would be stable with clock mods either mine or the ppa mobo clock as I've tried both
I pulled an old mobo out of the shed with two clocks on it with a fried internal usb header otherwise perfect
plugged her in and it's stable no issues whatsoever
go figure....
maybe there's a mobo model that will work everytime?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNkjv1z6Mg
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ok
I've a H97M-D3H here booted up with two clocks and the ocxo usb card
Sounds good
stability testing next
nice board too
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

been relible so far will connect up std atx supply to see if its foolproof :)