Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

cvrle59 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:difficult to see but have you wired the 4pin cpu plug direct from battery?
is the linear supply not a runner?
Yes I did...I should've done better job arranging those cables before I took the picture, to make it less confusing. The cable with 4pin molex, coming from pico is vacant, but the other one coming from the connector facing outside of the box is connected and supplied by one of two batteries.
The other thing, that is hard to see from photos (resolution had to be slashed down to be able to upload), is that those Tender Chargers come with 7.5A inline fuses. So, I did rearranged wiring little bit with adequate terminals, and I changed those fuses with 2A. There are 4 in total, if you pay attention, they are on top of the batteries. Each charging line has one, and each load feed line has one too.
The small charger on right side is used to charge Anker battery which feeds PP-USB card.
I played some DSD tunes by JPlay6 last night, amazing!

battery for os usb/ssd next would be a large jump in sq probably more than the usb card did for you
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
zydeco

Post by zydeco »

tony wrote:Just an update on my belated attempt to go picoless on the intel dh77eb board (original Zuma spec from Chris Connaker on CA)
Thanks to Nigel who did 95%+ of the soldering/wiring on a visit that extended well beyond the timings we had expected (Got to hear the dac Nigel has put together it is a work in progress but it seems Nigel's skills are not restricted to power supplies on PC's, I think that development will have it's own much visited thread in time). For anybody new trying this work please make sure all devices(usb keys,disks etc) are disconnected until one is confident the build is connected correctly. Very easy to advise but hard in progress when one is trying to get the initial temporary build powered up.

This intel board has an unusual characteristic. When run picoless the power button on the Zuma needs to be held in prior to tripping in the power.

After getting it to the 'finished state' the only working operating system I Had left was on a sandisk extreme usb key. For some unexplained reason mouse operation was not functioning on this.

Enter Pearse who had already spent a morning getting the initial build to power up dropped over for another afternoon of investigative work. Thanks to Pearse who had a working version of 2012R2 on ssd and the necessary power cables I got a full working system back in operation. This allowed my Zuma to work as before and fully operational. I think Pearse nabbed some photo's today of the 'temp' build maybe he might post them on this thread?. At some point I will stick this in a case.

Many thanks again to the two lads I would never have got to this point without their help and knowledge.
Tony

So it is possible to use "dumb" power with the Intel dh77eb board. Was there any special BIOS settings required? Or did it just work once the loom wiring was correct? Also, out of interest, what current is required on the 3.3V circuit?
tony

Post by tony »

Hi Zydeco and welcome aboard. Just need to check my mails on that. I got the polish traffo in the stainless steel pot doing 3 outputs. Will revert on the amps. The voltages were adjusted down with the regs.

Briefly as I am rushing out that board I would recommend using as an ordinary office pc. It has too many connections on it and doesn't take to power supply changes very well. There was a bit of a sequence to get it going but it gave up probably if you read it above in the thread due to a few sloppy bits of work during the picoless work. It was all my fault as I insisted on using the board against the advice. The msi board is easier and takes more of a battering. For circa €200+ with a haswell i3 cpu it is the way to go. Save your intel for normal use. Will revert with my tx specs

This is the spec I found but would like Nigel or Seb to confirm before you make any decision.
50 va for the transformers 12v and 30va for 5v and 30 for 3.3v
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Min of 2 amp for 3.3v
Recommend try to get 3 amp capable regulators
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Is skylake a superior sounding mobo?

i noticed on ppa blog the system clock of skylake is 24mhz which is same frequency as usbcards
im a fan of synchronicity and this opens the door to this we have the whole pc moving to the same beat

i then read that voltage regulation is now off the cpu chip meaning it is discrete which must allow us to improve the power going to the cpu?

has anyone tried skylake or heard it sounds better than previous builds?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Quite possibly....a bit like the Carlsberg Ad!!

Kidding aside I rebuilt my main AV PC in recent weeks with a Asus Z170-K CrossFire USB 3.1 Skylake ATX Motherboard with a Intel Core i7 6700 Skylake Desktop Processor/CPU.
It has an Asus Xonar Card with optical out to a Logitech 5.1 system and I had noticed a sound improvement after the build but had not put it down to anything other than my imagination but maybe there is something to your question Nige.

It sounded so good I went and bought Roon for that system and have been enjoying it ever since, it is still not a patch on the dedicated Audio PC system with all the bells and whistles but it is a lot more enjoyable to listen to after the rebuild.

Previous Mobo was an Asus Rampage Extreme with an Intel i7 CPU.

Post by sima66 »

What Skylake stands for?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:What Skylake stands for?!
just the new generation of intel cpu and mobo socket 1151

will mean new cpu new mobo and possibly new ram
not cheap anyway you look at it
seems to be a bit of a gambling punt

and i seem to have intels back catalog of cpus for 1155,1156,1150
where will it end
obviously never
sima66

Post by sima66 »

When I built my PC I built with RAM OS in mind and bought 16GB RAM.
Since I don't use the RAM OS, I'm thinking to go with 2x2GB RAM.
I'm using MQn and WTF.

Would that make any audible difference?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

think it will sound different.....
maybe low latency low voltage is the way to go