New 24/192 USB Transports are excellent

DaveF

Re: New 24/192 USB Transports are excellent

Post by DaveF »

jkeny wrote:but the real heart of the devices is a Xilinx chip - in the case of the Musiland, it's a Xilinx FPGA & the HiFace, it's a Xilinx CPLD.
Hi jkeny,
Very interesing work.
Just out of curiosity, is is possible to change the hardware internals of the FPGA's by redoing the RTL, synthesis, etc etc? Perhaps access to that sort of stuff is prohibited by the device.

Dave
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:
jkeny wrote:but the real heart of the devices is a Xilinx chip - in the case of the Musiland, it's a Xilinx FPGA & the HiFace, it's a Xilinx CPLD.
Hi jkeny,
Very interesing work.
Just out of curiosity, is is possible to change the hardware internals of the FPGA's by redoing the RTL, synthesis, etc etc? Perhaps access to that sort of stuff is prohibited by the device.

Dave
Sorry Dave, I don't know what RTL,etc is? BUT the asynch USB drivers are proprietary & no source is available. I presume you could use JTAG to read or write to the FPGA? Are you experienced in this sort of area?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

jkeny wrote:
DaveF wrote:
Hi jkeny,
Very interesing work.

Dave
Sorry Dave, I don't know what RTL,etc is? BUT the asynch USB drivers are proprietary & no source is available. I presume you could use JTAG to read or write to the FPGA? Are you experienced in this sort of area?
RTL is a special coding language used to describe how a synchronous or asynchronous digital circuit operates. Most digital design starts off this way.
You could use Jtag to access certain areas of the FPGA but I'd say it would be just basic register access, however as regards altering the internal digital cicuitry, you'd need the vendors tools and licensing. I've used FPGA's plenty of times in my work.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Oh meant to say John, I can see the linked pics here at home no prob. Couldn't see them in work, miust have just been network crap in work. We OK here anyway so no need for me to repost them I think....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
DavidMc

Post by DavidMc »

John what sort of mods are you doing with the Squeezebox? Maybe it's time I dissembled mine :)
The whole place is a complete mess. Can't find anything. Right now I'm eating scrambled eggs, with a comb, from a shoe!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

DavidMc wrote:John what sort of mods are you doing with the Squeezebox? Maybe it's time I dissembled mine :)
I'm modding the SB Receiver (one half of the Duet product). First off, let me say this sounds pretty good straight out of the box so I'm hoping for great things from it. The planned mods at the moment consist of:
- tapping the I2S signal & feeding it to a different DAC (ESS DAC) - this is done already
- removing the noisy 3.3V switching regulators & replacing with a direct 3.3V feed from battery.
- feeding the 11.289MHz clock (or an external clock) directly to the Xilinx CPLD

There may be others that I discover but these are the areas I'm interested in. If I was interested in improving SPDIF output I would do some other mods but I'm using I2S. If you need any help give me a shout.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I've done the second mod to this Squeezebox receiver
- removing the noisy 3.3V switching regulators & replacing with a direct 3.3V feed from battery.

No great leap in sound so I'm hoping the clean low jitter clock will bring it to the level of the HiFace's finessed sound.
www.Ciunas.biz
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

jkeny wrote:I've done the second mod to this Squeezebox receiver

No great leap in sound so I'm hoping the clean low jitter clock will bring it to the level of the HiFace's finessed sound.
just out of interest....

(I think my transport/dac may be about to commit hara-kiri...!!)

what files are you playing....??

I am thinking of heading the hd route as I am going to upgrade my pc soon, so I'll have a spare which I can use as a server and then airport to the rest of the house....

so something like a hiface + beresford dac could be a good budget route (how do they compare to the wee chinese usb dac/amp do-hickeys....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

jaybee wrote:
jkeny wrote:I've done the second mod to this Squeezebox receiver

just out of interest....

(I think my transport/dac may be about to commit hari/kari...!!)

what files are you playing....??
Do you mean 16/44 or 24/192? I'm doing all my sonic evaluation using 16/44 WAv files on PC - Herbie Hancock, The Joni Letters to be exact. A great test of low level retrieval of a DAC & some beautiful songs & sax playing! I have some 24/96, 24/88, 24/176 & 24/192 files which I have played about with but well recorded 16/44 is as good as the 24/192 I have.
I am thinking of heading the hd route as I am going to upgrade my pc soon, so I'll have a spare which I can use as a server and then airport to the rest of the house....

so something like a hiface + beresford dac could be a good budget route (how do they compare to the wee chinese usb dac/amp do-hickeys....
The HiFace is a great kit stock BUT modded it is stupendous! I'll have to give Fran a listen soon and see what he thinks (You know modders bias is even stronger than owners bias :)).
I'm keeping the HiFace, might sell the Musiland (Chinese 24/192 excellent do-hickey), haven't decided on this one yet BUT I didn't want a PC in the listening room so am trying the Squeezebox Receiver - it has great potential :)
www.Ciunas.biz
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

so does the 24/192 work like dvd upscaling to 1080....

I'd be using apple lossless as a format... or at least I have been....

spent about three days putting the mammy-in-law's cd collection onto the ipod we got for christmas!!! tiresome! so I don't know that I could face into re sampling all of my own.....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....