Quad ESL 57 speakers

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
Diapason

Re: Quad ESL 57 speakers

Post by Diapason »

Thing is though, I've heard them before on many occasions and while I admire some aspects of what they do, I know for a fact they wouldn't suit me as an all-purpose speaker. Still, enough people seem to love them that I think it might be an interesting experiment for smaller-scale music, and I'd be able to find out once and for all what all the fuss is about and whether I "get" these speakers. To do what I want would require a bit of regular messing rearranging the room, fiddling with cables, etc. I'd be concerned that I'd simply never listen to them as a consequence.

I've contacted the other shoulder to ask its opinion...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

A practical question: can you put Quads very close to side walls? By close, I mean virtually touching? My room is very narrow...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:A practical question: can you put Quads very close to side walls? By close, I mean virtually touching? My room is very narrow...
Yep.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

they'd even be good room treatments while doing A/B testing!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DNT

Post by DNT »

Dowser wrote:Looks like I'm going to accept an offer of €400 for these - any members here interested at this price?

Richard
At that price I would nearly go for them myself, except that I have nothing to drive them and nowhere to put them! In another life, maybe!

God luck with the sale and with your move.

DNT
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well, in a strange turn of events, my good lady has persuaded me to give them a go. After all, what's the worst that could happen?

Dowser, can I pop in and see them/hear them at some stage? I assume they're working properly and all that? I'm not a man with the skills required to tinker!

ETA: Her only complaint now is that after our email exchange, she's getting google ads for hifi and sound systems all over the place.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Ivor wrote:I came home from the hifi show yesterday and fired up the oul' valves. Now I heard some great systems yesterday but when I dropped the needle on some vinyl at home I was 100% content with my lot. No Vitus envy, no coveting my neighbours DcS.
Well said Ivor. I did exactly that too, I don't have a vinyl spinner nor QUADs but I too am content with the sound of my system as it is. Definitely no dCS or Vitus envy.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Don't want to go off-topic on Dowsers thread, but your response earlier caught my eye too, Rocker, and I thought it was interesting. Ultimately, I think a lot depends on what you get out of this hobby. While for some people "it's all about the music" I certainly don't feel that way about it: I love the toys, and I feel no shame in saying that. Now, I love the sound of my system at the moment, I've listened to it more in the last few months than I have in the previous few years, and it makes me happy every time I turn it on, but that's not the end of the story for me. If I wanted "set and forget", I probably wouldn't read hifi forums or magazines or any of the stupid stuff that many of us do. I'd like to think I'll always be curious about what something else sounds like, and I've long since accepted that some things sound better to equipment that I own.

I know you've said before, Rocker, that you hate the whole upgrade thing, so I suspect we have very different views on it all. I see no contradiction in admiring and indeed envying other equipment while still loving my own. I'm confident that it will never, ever be possible for me to get to "100% content", and in truth I'd be disappointed if I ever got there.

Yes, I'm a chronic sufferer of audiophilia nervosa.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: ... If I wanted "set and forget", I probably wouldn't read hifi forums or magazines or any of the stupid stuff that many of us do. I'd like to think I'll always be curious about what something else sounds like, .....

Yes, I'm a chronic sufferer of audiophilia nervosa.
Well just for the record (no pun intended) I was looking with interest at TTs and if there were carts on display I would have drooled on them too. It never actually stops, but until the next significant upgrade it will be just isolation and other peripherals. A slow down perhaps but it never actually stops.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Glad to hear it!