Quad ESL

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
cybot

Re: Quad ESL

Post by cybot »

Wonderfully honest 'review' Simon. Congrats on your new discoveries....Balance and Soul.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Well that was the most enjoyable coffee break I've had in a while!

Great post Simon and indeed I do think you "got" them quite quickly. The notion that you listen to albums rather than tracks (do you get the smell of vinyl?) and spend hours listening without fatigue is pure ESL.

While I think it's obvious some classical (smaller scale?) will sound incredible through Quad 57s you might be surprised when you hear electronica or techno on them. Keep volume levels sensible but give it a go!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thank you all, I really appreciate the comments.

Ivor, ultimately I intend to try pretty much everything on them, because at the very least they'll always give me a worthwhile alternative view of proceedings. I'm terrified of the volume control though...

Incidentally, I also have lots more experimentation to do with positioning and putting them on stands, and things can only improve from here.

Derek, I'll take you up on your offer in due course, thank you!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Great post Si and congrats on your purchase. I have heard Dereks 63s and Frans stacked 57s many times and always come away thinking that these things do an awful lot right and what they don't do, doesn't matter much anyway. Acoustic guitar seems to be really difficult for normal speakers to get right yet the Quads manage it without any effort. Townes Van Zandt anyone.......
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Super review there Simon. That was a great read indeed.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

ken Kessler the second.....????
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jaybee wrote:ken Kessler the second.....????
That's a terrible thing to say. Take it back!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Michael fremer...????
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Good Lord...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

Diapason wrote:Good Lord...
Don't go dragging him into it.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.