Quad ESL

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
tony

Re: Quad ESL

Post by tony »

Agree Conor but sure have to throw a few scraps to the box designed speakers :)

Forgot the ST's Adam but I am afraid to mention that word. My experience ended up with too much ridicule for me to ever consider those devices again :)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Agree Conor but sure have to throw a few scraps to the box designed speakers :)

Forgot the ST's Adam but I am afraid to mention that word. My experience ended up with too much ridicule for me to ever consider those devices again :)
Tony, maybe your experience with Super tweeters was the same as I would say that I tried CA on my laptop with Media Player and I didn't like it!
If you get a chance, try some better ST's and you will be impressed!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thor wrote:
tony wrote:They can do that Conor same happened to me when I heard them first in Ivor's(989's) and then in Fran's (Single and Stacked 57's). Had to get a pair or two! But having heard a lot of speakers over the last few years there are plenty of excellent choices out there that can do certain things better than the Quads. But mid-range,voices and soundstage are so good on the Quads
that for me a pair of subs complete the picture and I can live with any perceived limitations.

To balance the scales heard Raidho's recently and a home made ceramic tweeter standmount and they were both incredible.
The other week an old pair of Kef Carltons were heard for the first time and hope to hear that one side by side with the Quads.
Really natural sounding and certainly easier to live with.
The limitations were hard to detect Tony!
Nearly all speakers incur some compromise Conor. Quads can be bass light in that they don't go low enough for some listeners but, for me, the accuracy of the bass more than made up for that. They don't go loud either but again they go loud enough for me. I really enjoyed my time with Quads (first 63s and then 989s) and could live with them forever if I hadn't developed an itch to "upgrade".
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

In fairness to the aul supertweeters...... I think in your case they were set up to cut in too early, and then turned up too loud, the result was some phase type harshness at high crossover level....

I'm firing back up my stacked quads tonight.... in honour of this thread!
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I never thought there was a reason to put super tweeters on Quads... subs yes, I can see that but not tweeters. I may have said that to Tony once or twice.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

Agree Fran certainly they were designed to be heard even if one was wearing ear plugs.
The Townshends are probably a better fit and certainly less intrusive. Might get Pearse to sort his so I could try them again for a laugh. JAS ST's might also be worth a punt but never seen Adam's type available over here and like the Townshends new price is not for the faint hearted.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

There are a lot of things that people think that they can or can't be better, but usually after hearing the difference than we realize that!

I bought my tweeters after a lot of reading and in the end I bite the bullet! Once I put them on, they were never go out!
After that all my 57's friends have them!

Nigel was able to hear the difference, when he was on this side of the ocean.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
tony

Post by tony »

You will have to locate a nice secondhand pair for me Adam. Vert rare this side of the water
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:You will have to locate a nice secondhand pair for me Adam. Vert rare this side of the water
Not easy to find here either. :(
tony

Post by tony »

For whatever reason they obviously didn't sell too well. You might send me on the exact model you have and I will keep a look out but tbh any that have come up have been expensive and I am not convinced enough to dig deep. It was a pity the guy I bought mine from had the JAS ST's but had sold them prior to me getting his speakers. I think my best option is to pay for Pearse's Townshends to get fixed and then borrow them:)