Re: Quad ESL

Post by jaybee »

still loving them??
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Kharmas have been in place for the last few days, so no further updates.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Interesting reading Simon! Thanks!

I really liked the Quad 2805s (the latest iteration of the ESL) when they visited, but my wife was appalled by their appearance an refused to have them in the house. Also, they were an early pair and gave trouble, so they didn't stay long. But they made a good impression!

Derek's 63s paid a visit some time ago (and got on famously with the Jadis monos I had then!). They were a delight when they were behaving, which was most of the time!
Derek

Post by Derek »

They're much better since I refurbished the dust coves and outer stocking.
The original dust covers were a mess, loose, patched with packing tape and even some holes.
Fitting the refurbish kit made a huge difference to the sound quality.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

A most enjoyable review Simon, thanks for that. I suppose it is like a journey, along the way different views, experiences occur etc. So it is with the 57's. All part of the wonderful tapestry of Hi Fi.

I have never owned Quads, but they appear to have somewhat of a cult following, owners seem to speak of them with a certain "Passion", almost a belief.

Nevertheless it is remarkable that a design of the 57 still inspires such a following even in the 21 st century today. Perhaps these speakers will still have a following in the 22nd century? I would not be surprised.

Since the debut of the 57, how many speakers have come and gone? It's just there is something very appealing about older technology, still very much, being able to give something, very special.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Thor

Post by Thor »

Had my first exposure to Quads when I collected a few CDs from Tony at the weekend and was blown away.

Haven't had much exposure to real high end hifi: 803ds were the fanciest I had heard previously but the experience of hearing 'Hey Nineteen' and 'Babylon Sisters ' through Tony's system was shocking!!!
tony

Post by tony »

They can do that Conor same happened to me when I heard them first in Ivor's(989's) and then in Fran's (Single and Stacked 57's). Had to get a pair or two! But having heard a lot of speakers over the last few years there are plenty of excellent choices out there that can do certain things better than the Quads. But mid-range,voices and soundstage are so good on the Quads
that for me a pair of subs complete the picture and I can live with any perceived limitations.

To balance the scales heard Raidho's recently and a home made ceramic tweeter standmount and they were both incredible.
The other week an old pair of Kef Carltons were heard for the first time and hope to hear that one side by side with the Quads.
Really natural sounding and certainly easier to live with.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:They can do that Conor same happened to me when I heard them first in Ivor's(989's) and then in Fran's (Single and Stacked 57's). Had to get a pair or two! But having heard a lot of speakers over the last few years there are plenty of excellent choices out there that can do certain things better than the Quads. But mid-range,voices and soundstage are so good on the Quads
that for me a pair of subs complete the picture and I can live with any perceived limitations.
........and a pair of super tweeters with 57's!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Thor

Post by Thor »

tony wrote:They can do that Conor same happened to me when I heard them first in Ivor's(989's) and then in Fran's (Single and Stacked 57's). Had to get a pair or two! But having heard a lot of speakers over the last few years there are plenty of excellent choices out there that can do certain things better than the Quads. But mid-range,voices and soundstage are so good on the Quads

To balance the scales heard Raidho's recently and a home made ceramic tweeter standmount and they were both incredible.
The other week an old pair of Kef Carltons were heard for the first time and hope to hear that one side by side with the Quads.
Really natural sounding and certainly easier to live with.
The limitations were hard to detect Tony!