Quad ESL

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
sima66

Re: Quad ESL

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:For whatever reason they obviously didn't sell too well. You might send me on the exact model you have and I will keep a look out but tbh any that have come up have been expensive and I am not convinced enough to dig deep. It was a pity the guy I bought mine from had the JAS ST's but had sold them prior to me getting his speakers. I think my best option is to pay for Pearse's Townshends to get fixed and then borrow them:)
I remember reading that one guy compared, beside some others, the Townshend and JAS and that he liked JAS better.
I never got a chance to compare my JAS with any other ST's and I can't comment on that, but I'm very happy with mine and the bigest reason for buying was that I found them for $500 CAD.

I didn't know that Pearse had ST's, but depending of the repair cost, that would be the best option.

I guarantee you that once when you hear 57's with good ST's you will never go back!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

Previous owner felt the same about his with 57's that was what made me chance the Audiosmiles but as has been well documented here they were disasterous. Maybe I should have tried an inline resistor to curb them and btw that is what some people on the english forums have suggested for the JAS ST's but the Townshends can be turned way down. fancied them but new or secondhand they are just way too expensive. TBH very happy anyway at the moment.PC is well modded and have the choice of 57's or 63's. 57's are in situ at present.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:Previous owner felt the same about his with 57's that was what made me chance the Audiosmiles but as has been well documented here they were disasterous. Maybe I should have tried an inline resistor to curb them and btw that is what some people on the english forums have suggested for the JAS ST's but the Townshends can be turned way down. fancied them but new or secondhand they are just way too expensive. TBH very happy anyway at the moment.PC is well modded and have the choice of 57's or 63's. 57's are in situ at present.
Tony, this is an offer that you can't refuse:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tweak ... orlando-fl
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

Ah hard but will try! Very hard to understand the price of the townshends. I think they have escalated hugely in price and I am way too mean to spend that type of money on 8yr old on ST's.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I saw a lone Quad 57 in Cloneys last week. Ivan told me its partner was on the way in. Just saying.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

i took a set of 57s into david campbells shop a few years ago -he was trying to get a very expensive single driver speaker matched up with amps -he ended up putting them back in the box for returning to distributor after the quads were listened to. the quad worked excellent with a canadian amp coincidence if i remember and not as good results with a 6c33 bat amp -but it was in the right place for quad 57loads od space and high roof which most of us dont have in our listening area
i have a friend who i got my quads off who had 40 single 57 speakers in need of tlc he was a hifi dealer and distributor of klipsch horn and sold tannoy to japan he is retired now and has a holiday home in burr facinating to hear stories about peter walker -paul klipsch and many more-anyway he said the best sound he ever heard was an ear yoshino creation a otl 57 minus the 2 transformers one in the speaker and one in amplifier
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

It's fascinating that the ESLs continue to get so much love across the hifi world, and it's a constant reminder to me of how differently we all hear and what we're all listening for in this crazy hobby (I mean this as a good thing!) I've certainly never regretted selling mine, although I'm glad I scratched the itch. Funny thing is, even having owned them I still wonder why I can't get as much out of them as you guys do. Cloth ears, obviously!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Great review, really enjoyed reading it. Thanks
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
tony

Post by tony »

Maybe imagination but really big improvement in my Quads tonight. Floor has been double joisted from beneath with a double slab of plasterboard and everything is really tight sounding. Using the ciunas dac with the pc. The lampi still needs to be soldered up!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm Maybe imagination but really big improvement in my Quads tonight. Floor has been double joisted from beneath with a double slab of plasterboard and everything is really tight sounding. Using the ciunas dac with the pc. The lampi still needs to be soldered up!
oh good lord....
four wires to solder

good job im in charge of gettin the amps done!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's