November: Bedřich Smetana's Má Vlast

Seán

Re: November: Bedřich Smetana's Má Vlast

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
The Second Movement – Vltava (River Moldau)

This is a gorgeous work, it is probably the most popular of the six poems. The splendid and evocative melody which runs through this composition, just as the river Moldau runs through the Bohemian countryside is derived from a Swedish folksong and tells the story of the rise of the river from two small spring waters in the Soumova Mountans of Southern Bohemia and its passage through the countryside, it is a classic essay in musical illustration

The poem starts with bubbling figures on flutes and clarinets painting a picture of the two mountain streams. The river passes through a forest from which we hear the sound of a hunt, past a rustic wedding dance (in the form of a polka), it runs over rocks and the Rapids of St John above Prague. The climax comes with the river flowing into the city itself past Vyšehrad. This is the point at which the opening theme from the first symphonic poem returns in triumph.

I have always marvelled at this piece of music in the way that it depicts the course of a river from its gurgling source. I find it a very evocative and descriptive piece that is filled with highly descriptive and varied imagery and the conclusion is a wonderfully rousing and exciting piece of music. The main theme is synonymous with Smetna and one is always reminded of Sibelius’ Finlandia (in his attempt to get to the essence of his country’s identity/culture) when one hears it. Another piece of music that is brought to mind on hearing Vltava is Schumann’s Symphony No.3. (albeit it a tentative connection).

The instrumentation is, once again, well worked in this Tone Poem. From the initial gurgling of the source to the full flow of a large body of water the depiction of the movement is very effective. I particularly like the opening woodwinds, the swirling strings at the first entry of the main theme and the same for the flutes around the middle of the work; there is a wonderful evocation of moving water in those places.
I like that Fergus, well done.

I wonder if anybody who is not familiar with these tone poems has been tempted to buy a copy of Má Vlast and/or has listened to the Youtube clips and has an opinion on what they have heard?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ well, I first heard the first two, best known sections when I was about 19 years old, and at the time time they were one of the very few pieces of CM which actually spoke to me... I thought they were really emotionally engaging, which is why I think your 'stocking-filler' idea is such a very good one... I'd probably do the same, if I had any friends...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote: I wonder if anybody who is not familiar with these tone poems has been tempted to buy a copy of Má Vlast and/or has listened to the Youtube clips and has an opinion on what they have heard?
Sorry Seán, I haven't got round to this at all yet (not least cos I don't have it on CD, and dithered about buying a copy). I really will have to make more of an effort!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:
Seán wrote: I wonder if anybody who is not familiar with these tone poems has been tempted to buy a copy of Má Vlast and/or has listened to the Youtube clips and has an opinion on what they have heard?
Sorry Seán, I haven't got round to this at all yet (not least cos I don't have it on CD, and dithered about buying a copy). I really will have to make more of an effort!
That's fine Simon. If you have time you might like to listen to some of the youtube clips, particulalry the second tone poem.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

The Third Movement – Šárka (leader of Bohem. Amazons)

According to popular Czech legend, some 1500 years ago in the 6th or 7th century, the Slavic population living in the wild lands around Prague (in the modern-day Šárka valley) was ruled by a matriarchy led by the beloved Queen Libuše. When the queen died, her husband Prince Přemysl took her place, thus sparking a fierce civil war between the Slavic women and men. As legend tells it, the war continued for some time until a young maiden named Šárka set up a trap for Ctirad, the greatest fighter for the opposing all-male army. Using her feminine wiles and her fighting prowess, Šárka positioned herself so the men would find her staked to a tree. She claimed to have been captured by a band of the warring maidens and used her natural charms to coerce Ctirad to free her. Once free, she treated Ctirad and his men to some mead which she claimed the maidens left to tempt her with. As Czech men will be Czech men, the warriors drank the mead until they passed out in a drunken stupor. At that point, the rest of the maidens jumped from their hiding spots and killed all the men, except Ctirad, who was taken as their prisoner. Some versions of the story claim Ctirad died at the maidens' hands as well while others claim he was kept as a prisoner. Although the maiden's were victorious on this occasion, legend says they were ultimately defeated by the men's stronger forces.

This is the shortest of the six tone poems. It has five clearly defined sections and begins with a fierce, even hysterical violin melody depicting the violent and passionate Šárka. The remaining sections are a march portraying the arrival of Ctirad and his men (to this listener he seems to be a pompous git), Citrad freeing Šárka from the tree and, in a passionate episode, falling in love with her, the drinking party (signalled by a heavy-footed dance) at which the men fall into a stupor (snoring bassoons) and finally the climax, which Smetana with good reason marks frenetico. This is wonderful music.

The CPO lead by Kubelik and Smetana's Šárka
Seán

Post by Seán »

And here it is the wonderful concert from 1990 when Kubelik came out of retirement to lead the CPO in celebration of Czech freedom, this is special:
The opening concert of 1990 Prague Spring International Music Festival on 12th May 1990 at Smetana Hall in Prague.

Bedřich Smetana (1824-1884):
Fanfares from the Opera "Libuše"

František Škroup (1801-1962):
National Anthem of Czech Republic - Kde domov můj? (Where is my home?)

Bedřich Smetana:
Má vlast (My Country)
1. Vyšehrad
2. Vltava (Die Moldau)
3. Šárka
4. Z českých luhů a hájů
5. Tábor
6. Blaník

Česká filharmonie (Czech Philharmonic)
Rafael Kubelík
Claus

Post by Claus »

I have been listening over the past evenings and found these notes to be a brilliant guide. I first bought the Kubelik cd after recommendations in the listening thread, a while ago, and was hooked after the first listen. It really is an amazing piece of music and an excellent performance by the CPO and Kubelik. The youtube clip really helps getting a sense of how momentous an occasion this was!

I think it is a piece that has great variation and keeps me interested. I love the harps in the opening Vysehrad and the chasing flutes in Vltava. I was not wrong when I thought I recognized something from this movement: The Swedish folk song was also used in a Christmas play I did with my class a few years back and there it was again! I will get back with more thoughts as I get more familiar with this work.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claus, I am delighted to learn that you find the notes useful, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

My 3 year old wandered in wanting to know why I was listening to the crabs song...

I'm reliably informed Smetana recently featured in the Little Einsteins..!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:My 3 year old wandered in wanting to know why I was listening to the crabs song...

I'm reliably informed Smetana recently featured in the Little Einsteins..!!!
Well I am glad that you are listening to Má Vlast but it's a long time since I had exposure to children's tv programmes as my youngest is now 19 years old; the 'crabs song', now that's a new one on me.