Gigs you might like...

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Claus

Re: Gigs you might like...

Post by Claus »

Joe Henry 11th February Grand Social!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

2 that some here might be interested in....

Freddie White, 30th June, Mill Theatre Dundrum

Joan Armatrading, Vicar St, 28 Oct.

Ticket prices very reasonable for both....
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm 2 that some here might be interested in....

Fran and myself enjoyed a great gig last night in the Mill Theatre. Freddie was in fine form and while he was always a consummate performer the years have made him a really fine guitarist and a subtle interpreter of other people's songs. The new album is a cracker too!

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tweber

Post by tweber »

Ivor wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:48 pm
Fran wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm 2 that some here might be interested in....

Fran and myself enjoyed a great gig last night in the Mill Theatre. Freddie was in fine form and while he was always a consummate performer the years have made him a really fine guitarist and a subtle interpreter of other people's songs. The new album is a cracker too!

Haven't seen him live for a long time but he is the reason why I love Randy Newman, Warren Zevon, Zappa and John Prine among many others. An amazing musician and nice guy too. Glad to hear he's still delivering the goods. Hopefully i'll get to see him in his home county soon again
hudo

Post by hudo »

Just bought tickets for:
Stanley Clark @ Sugar club, 29th Oct
http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/ev ... ley-clarke

Blue Train from D Stringz album is one of my favourite hifi-gear-testing tracks (https://listen.tidal.com/album/77699766)

Also sound in Sugar club can be really good if you manage to grab a good seat!
♪♫ sound sommelier ♪♫
Pi2AES LPSU > Holo Spring 3 KTE > Music Hall 7.1 > PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid > QA Concept 500
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

I got to a gig in THE FIELD pub in Kilkenny City, Rob Strong was playing and he is GOOD. Make that very good. Seemingly he has a residency there every Tuesday night. THE FIELD is not a big place, bands setup just to the left inside the door. Loud but not too loud, Rob on bass & vocals, drummer and lead guitarist. I stood just inside the door and really enjoyed the show. Lots of people coming and going so there is no difficulty getting in to the pub. I am told that they serve drink there too, but the music was simply too good to miss.....
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Great Richard Thompson gig last night in the NCH. In the company of Fran and Claus you wouldn't go far wrong anyway. RT is a guitar god and his band are as tight as the fishes proverbial. The drummer alone was worth going to see and hear. Effortless efficiency mixed with a deceptive laid back style.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tweber

Post by tweber »

https://www.joehenrylovesyoumadly.com/live/
Apparently Joe Henry is living in Co. Clare for a while and doing a solo tour in September/October.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Public Service Broadcasting are playing the Olympia next Jan 31st 2019....... a few of us are going. Tickets 31 or 34 from ticketmaster.....
Do or do not, there is no try
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Steely Dan at the 3Arena

The show, last Thursday, was opened by Steve Winwood and his band. Almost all new music to me and I enjoyed his contribution but his time onstage was spoiled by a nasty loud 'one note' bass drone/howl that remained during his show. It was so bad that it affected the vocals and the guitar sounds. Why it was not noticed by the sound guys and eradicated, I don't know. Very impressed with the drummer (who was positioned on the left side of the stage (on the right from the audience perspective).

After the interval, Steely Dan came onstage. Straight away the sound quality and clarity was up several notches from the Winwood time. Gone was the bass drone/howl. First things first, the drummer and bass were among the very best I have ever heard. Anywhere. The bass player sat on a stool and played it dead simple. And he absolutely nailed it. Every move by the band members on stage were expertly choreographed and carried out with precision. Precision was the name of the game, they got everything absolutely spot on. I was surprised and delighted to see and hear them play 'Rikki don't lose that number' which is one of my all time favourite songs.

A lot of Steely Dan music is, shall we say, an acquired taste. I found some of it uninvolving and spiritless but expertly played. If you can follow my drift. Soundwise it was excellent and the lighting was very good. Interesting to observe the other patrons at the show. Most were on the 'older' end of the scale, the age profile was at least 50 and upwards. Similar in that regard to the John Fogerty concert I attended at the same venue a few months ago. There was a large standing area in front of the stage which was full. Full not packed like sardines in a tin. I noticed many people leave their seats and go stand in the standing area. A few mobile phones to be seen but not a very serious distraction.

I am glad I went. I enjoyed the show even if Steely Dan music does not quite float my boat.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!