Ethical question

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Diapason

Ethical question

Post by Diapason »

I know I'm an old fart, but I think about this stuff.

Say you were gifted with a CD copied for archival purposes by a friend, and over time you discovered that you actually enjoyed that CD quite a lot and, rather than gathering dust on your shelf, you listened to it regularly. Would you buy a "real" copy of it? If so, would there be a limit to how much you'd spend?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Adrian

Re: Ethical question

Post by Adrian »

Gosh....... ehmmmmm.... now.... let me see..........oh dear..... well....... perhaps.........ahhhh................NO.

Howzat for an answer!!!!

If the CD was really really good, then I would be tempted (and have done) to buy a VINYL release of the album. But a CD original, fraid not.

There are very very few CD's that I would listen to time and time again anyway. In fact I have now got to the stage should I be getting rid of some stuff I never listen to anymore?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

LOL, copy them for me!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Adrian wrote:Gosh....... ehmmmmm.... now.... let me see..........oh dear..... well....... perhaps.........ahhhh................NO.
If the CD was really really good, then I would be tempted (and have done) to buy a VINYL release of the album. But a CD original, fraid not.
Yes Yes Yes :)
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I know I'm an old fart, but I think about this stuff.

Say you were gifted with a CD copied for archival purposes by a friend, and over time you discovered that you actually enjoyed that CD quite a lot and, rather than gathering dust on your shelf, you listened to it regularly. Would you buy a "real" copy of it? If so, would there be a limit to how much you'd spend?
In the past I have received off site storage copies of cds and I have replaced them with purchased cds. I don't mind storing the discs for a friend if the CD is "out of print", otherwise I'd rather not and if the recording is once more made available I will replace the copy with the real thing. Cost is not a factor unless we are talking silly money.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I knew a chap who was so enamoured by that 3ft length of NYC ego who at the time was called prince... that he refused to tape, yes tape, a copy of his cd for me...

apparently he was in need of all the royalty income he could get to fund the removal of yet more ribs, so as to be able to go one step further and kiss his own arse.....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I have bought real copies of bootlegs, mostly because most copies I got we're from the land before lossless, and when storage for aiff was about as expensive as a cd anyhow...!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

For whatever illogical reason I don't generally find CDRs as satisfying so, if I really liked an album yeah... I'd eventually buy a copy.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

No hangups about copies of cd's .Now I am inclined to just put it on a hard drive. If the artist or CD really rocks the boat I will buy it.
e.g. I bought another copy of kind of blue in freebird over the weekend as it was a mono version and stereo version.
Have to admit I would also be price sensitive. I find it really hard nigh impossible to pay €14+ for a CD. I will either wait or just borrow it and coy it if possible. My best friend David Byrne writes about this a lot and I share his view. Futile for companies to try and stop it and one way or the other more cd's end up being bought as people are exposed to new stuff.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tweber

Post by tweber »

Ivor wrote:For whatever illogical reason I don't generally find CDRs as satisfying so, if I really liked an album yeah... I'd eventually buy a copy.
+1, unless it was prince ;-)
Height and ego restrictions apply