Proposed Jazz Thread

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Proposed Jazz Thread

Post by Seán »

An essential Ellington list.

Number 4 Ellington Uptown

The music on this album was recorded in 1951 and 1952 and represents the first major recording by Ellington without his principal saxophonist, Johnny Hodges. Hodges left the orchestra in 1951 and would not return until1955, the intervening years represented a very lean time for Ellington. Willie Smith took the lead alto saxophone chair from Hodges, he was white, and was not made feel very welcome so he left and was replaced by Hilton Jefferson who played lead until Hodges returned in 1955.
A1 Skin Deep
Featuring – Louis Bellson
Written-By – L. Bellson*

A2 The Mooche
Written-By – Ellington*, I. Mills*

A3 Take The "A" Train
Vocals – Betty Roche
Written-By – Strayhorn

B1 A Tone Parallel To Harlem
Written-By – Ellington*

B2 Perdido
Written-By – E. Drake*, Lenk*, Tizol*
One of my favourite Ellington compositions is Duke’s “Tone Parallel to Harlem”, it is a tone poem not a suite. It was originally commissioned by the NBC Symphony in 1950 when Toscanini was its conductor. There is no record of the NBC performing it under Toscanini’s baton. Duke did record it in 1963 with members of the Paris Symphony Orchestra and I think that that particular recording is best avoided.
A Tone Parallel to Harlem was written by Duke when he was returning to America on the SS lle de France. Duke loved Harlem and when he wrote the poem he wanted to express it in his own musical language: a Spanish Harlem, a parade, jazz, a floorshow and chorus line, church, sermon, funeral, a “chic chick stopping traffic, a Sunday promenade and orators demanding civil rights. There are no soloists and Duke was too busy conducting to play piano. I think that it’s marvellous:

A Tone Parallel to Harlem,

Duke was reluctant to feature drummers with extended drum solos but he made an exception when Louise Bellson joined the orchestra, this may not be to your liking it’s
Skin Deep:

The cd version now contains the Liberian Suite too, not his best work I feel.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

This one arrived today Seán....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:This one arrived today Seán....

Oh wow, good man Fergus. I hope that you like it. I better move on to the year of "Ellington's rebirth": 1956 very soon, tomorrow perhaps.
Last edited by Seán on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cheers Seán. No rush; take your time.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have now purchased this one Seán....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I have now purchased this one Seán....

Well done Fergus, that was my first LP. It is from the same period as "At his Very Best". It was probably Duke's best period too, unfortunately the musicians strike against ASCAP meant a recording ban in 1941 and then again between 1942 - 1944 and we lost the chance to hear how the orchestra sounded at that time and started the decline of the Big Band era.

I will be interested to learn what you make of these recordings.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:

I really like both of them Seán. I have only listened to In A Mellotone once but I especially took a liking to that one.
tony

Post by tony »

Listening to some Bill Evans live and recorded. Maybe it was his name I had the stuff for a while but never played it.
Some of the nicest all round jazz I have heard.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Seán

Post by Seán »

tony wrote:Listening to some Bill Evans live and recorded. Maybe it was his name I had the stuff for a while but never played it.
Some of the nicest all round jazz I have heard.
You will not go far wrong with Bill Evans.