Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
JAW

Re: Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Post by JAW »

From Neil Young to GAA in one breath! Only on this site!. I have the CD version and have so far only played it in the car. Very tepmted at the vinyl, though, given Neil's devotion to analogue. B.T.W. to get this thread back towards music and away from the sports report, here's an article about his stage setup (apologies if I posted it before).

http://thrasherswheat.org/friends/amps.htm
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:From Neil Young to GAA in one breath! Only on this site!. I have the CD version and have so far only played it in the car. Very tepmted at the vinyl, though, given Neil's devotion to analogue. B.T.W. to get this thread back towards music and away from the sports report, here's an article about his stage setup (apologies if I posted it before).

http://thrasherswheat.org/friends/amps.htm

Hello Johnny. How are you keeping? Thanks for the link above. Looking forward to reading it later.....if I can tear myself away from my very first foray into GarageBand :) It's absolutely amazing! Maybe I'll able to replicate Nei's set up ;)
Alltheyoungdudes

Post by Alltheyoungdudes »

Have the CD but the vinyl seems the way to go (apart from the fact that I'm hot and cold on the album - it certainly ain't no On The Beach or Tonight's The Night.) Anyone checked out the Blu-ray version? Tower are doing it for Euro 24...very tempted!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Alltheyoungdudes wrote:Have the CD but the vinyl seems the way to go (apart from the fact that I'm hot and cold on the album - it certainly ain't no On The Beach or Tonight's The Night.) Anyone checked out the Blu-ray version? Tower are doing it for Euro 24...very tempted!

I can't imagine the album being any more than the sum of it's parts. Neil lost his mojo a long while ago and even comparing it to the two albums mentioned is laughable. Vinyl is the main reason for buying as it'll probably be my last Neil Young album. I've heard bits of it and, like you, I haven't been too impressed. Still I could be in for a pleasant surprise!
Claus

Post by Claus »

Listened on Spotify and I am not sure I will fork out the money for vinyl. I agree that Neil has lost some mojo in his new material but I still think he is quite unique as a live performer. I have yet to see him with Crazy Horse so I did get a ticket for myself and the son for the RDS this summer. If nothing else he will be able to say he saw him live and that it was his first proper stadium concert. (His first concert was Albert Lee in the Mermaid here in Bray).... :)
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

I think that the only way to appreciate this album is to listen to the vinyl version. The distorted guitar effects and air around the vocals just have to be heard. Neil Young seems to be one of the few recording artists who seems to care about how the sound recording can add to the listening experience. Some of the tracks appear to have been recorded 'live'. That adds a tad to the realism.

I have to admit though that it isn't his best album but probably his best recording.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Well I finally got it! Sat down with a bit of trepidation and listened to the long groove that is Driftin' Back. Now this is my first time listening to a new Neil Young record since Broken Arrow. Can't quite believe that was back in '96!!! Still I do have all of his records including the live ones up to that date. Anyway.....the first thing I noticed was his vocals. I couldn't believe how beautifully he sings and the ambience/air around the vocals is palpable and wonderfully captured on this all analogue recording. Then the band comes in and fill out the spaces and yet leaving the requisite air space which is so important in music. And yet there was a nagging feeling that the guitars were, somehow, just too relaxed and forever stuck in second gear. I honestly felt that they were slightly down in the mix. As I got used to this however it suddenly dawned on me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Just Neil doing his thing another way and exploring the guitar sounds from a different angle. And the more I listened the more I realised that it suited the long lazy groove unfolding around my ears. Another aspect I found was I continually felt the need to turn up the volume! Also the soloing was so controlled and 'held' back which actually added to the proceedings rather than taking away from them! Growing old gracefully I guess? So it was a relief to hear the abstract feedback fireworks that is the last few minutes of the final track :) He's done it all before and better but on this occasion he doesn't feel the need to prove himself yet again. Can't wait to hear some more of it tonight. Thanks Peelaa for alerting me to one of the gems in Neil's vast cannon :) And, of course, you ABSOLUTELY need the vinyl version :) By the way, you'll be glad to know, the double vinyl plus 7" package that is his Greatest Hits has duly been ordered too :) Just to hear Down By The River and Cowgirl in the Sand as they were meant to be heard....

Last edited by cybot on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrick

Post by patrick »

hi.
i have been a neil young fan since the 70s and have bought all his releases , even Trans . I acknowledge the variable quality of his album releases. He is similar to Dylan in so far as he releases an album of songs and music indicating the musical period and interests that he is experiencing at that moment. This is confusing and often disappointing for fans as there is often no relation between albums released. This album is my opinion a good album and has a live feel. There is nothing new in it but it trundles on relentlessly like neil himself. I heard this album on download before release and was not impressed but as a fan i bought the cd on release and liked it more. I decided to but the vinyl version on release but nearly died at the price. I got it for christmas and i am very happy with the vinyl version. However can i say no album is worth 70 euro on release. The last number of albums by Neil Young particularly the new releases not the reissues or bootleg releases have been too expensive. No amount of marketing bull sh 1t can justify these prices. If you think the dynamics on this record are good please listen the La Noise on vinyl which was produced by Daniel lanois , again a project album but the sound is (awesome ) very good .If you can buy this album in Tesco for 12.99 on cd surely 25 euro is enough for this album and download . A good barometer on price justification is will you tell friends who only listen to music occasionally and have average interest that you paid the asking price and not cringe a little. For thirty years now people have collected records and sold originals and albums have increased in value with them becoming rare. but nowadays the record companies have strategically released reissues remastered those albums targeted at the money rich nostalgic market . Dont get me wrong , i think reissues are very welcome but even the remastering is often dubious and the vinyl pricing crazy. But regrettably many neil young fans and vinyl uses will not and can not justify such pricing . sorry for the rant , now how is my ebay account going . mmm Greendale unused 200euro mm not bad !!!! buy buy buy .
cybot

Post by cybot »

patrick wrote:hi.
i have been a neil young fan since the 70s and have bought all his releases , even Trans . I acknowledge the variable quality of his album releases. He is similar to Dylan in so far as he releases an album of songs and music indicating the musical period and interests that he is experiencing at that moment. This is confusing and often disappointing for fans as there is often no relation between albums released. This album is my opinion a good album and has a live feel. There is nothing new in it but it trundles on relentlessly like neil himself. I heard this album on download before release and was not impressed but as a fan i bought the cd on release and liked it more. I decided to but the vinyl version on release but nearly died at the price. I got it for christmas and i am very happy with the vinyl version. However can i say no album is worth 70 euro on release. The last number of albums by Neil Young particularly the new releases not the reissues or bootleg releases have been too expensive. No amount of marketing bull sh 1t can justify these prices. If you think the dynamics on this record are good please listen the La Noise on vinyl which was produced by Daniel lanois , again a project album but the sound is (awesome ) very good .If you can buy this album in Tesco for 12.99 on cd surely 25 euro is enough for this album and download . A good barometer on price justification is will you tell friends who only listen to music occasionally and have average interest that you paid the asking price and not cringe a little. For thirty years now people have collected records and sold originals and albums have increased in value with them becoming rare. but nowadays the record companies have strategically released reissues remastered those albums targeted at the money rich nostalgic market . Dont get me wrong , i think reissues are very welcome but even the remastering is often dubious and the vinyl pricing crazy. But regrettably many neil young fans and vinyl uses will not and can not justify such pricing . sorry for the rant , now how is my ebay account going . mmm Greendale unused 200euro mm not bad !!!! buy buy buy .
Hi Patrick! Spoken like a true Neil Young fan :) I agree wholeheartedly about the ridiculous prices for the vinyl versions of Neil's albums. They really make your eyes water! To take one of the albums you recommended above (Le Noise) : Tower were charging almost €40 for it which turned me right off the bugger! Double Lp, maybe, but one lousy record at only 39 minutes....NO WAY! So I promptly turned away in disgust and promptly forgot about it. Johnny (JAW) at the time praised it's virtues too. And now, all of a sudden, Psychedelic Pill whetted my appetite; Maybe the long tracks appealed to me I don't know. But I do know I hated the title. Then I heard about the high prices being charged for it and again I turned away in disgust. Sometime before Christmas I happened to call into HMV in Henry St. (as it turned out it was my last visit) looking for presents and, for some strange reason, I decided to pay a visit to what used to be the vinyl/CD department. On the way down the stairs I spotted a rack of Lps dangling from one of the posts beside the checkout counter. The price of some of the Lps - there was only a handful - made me nearly puke! And, lo and behold, there was Psychedelic Pill in all it's vinyl glory staring at me slightly lopsided on the rack. My head nearly fell off when I checked the price! I expected something in the region of maybe €50 plus. It screamed €100.00!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Mother of God!!
So that was the end of that! Later on in Tower I checked the Y section in the vinyl racks and came across three Young Lps. Again the prices took my breath away. The Greatest Hits double? €70!!
The Sugar Mountain double? €80!!!! Actually this was the first time I had actually came across the Greatest Hits on vinyl. The only reason I was interested in the Greatest Hits was because I actually forked all of €7.00 for the privilege of owning the cd version. I don't buy cds, full stop. I don't even have a cp now! Anyway at the time I owned a rather nifty little yoke which had an extremely high output and Cowgirl/Down By the River sounded unbelievable! Especially the bass. I couldn't believe it. Again I searched out for a vinyl copy and the prices being charged blah blah blah....So here I am again, full circle....Peelaa then comes along and alerts me to Amazon Young vinyl in the shape of PP. The price definitely appealed to me! And minimal postage too. Brilliant! So to sum up: I'm back listening to Neil's old vinyl stuff again and I'm getting a pleasant surprise in relation to the sound quality! I listened to On The Beach last night and I just couldn't believe the quality of the sonics. Wow! Just now I listened to Weld, which never really sounded decent as long as I remember. But it now sounds very decent indeed. Much, much better than I remember. I'm dreading putting on Ragged Glory for obvious reasons but to tell the truth I don't care as I've finally found my Young mojo again :) Just can't wait to trawl down the seemingly endless Young vinyl on my own racks with all the reviews and interviews from magazine cuttings still intact. Spoken like a true Neil Young fan :))))
peelaaa

Post by peelaaa »

Fantastic reviews of neil young. Where did you buy the greatest hits cybot , was it on amazon as well? Just to add that I have also bought from amazon.com in the usa. Postage cost not much more either...
Now I don't work for amazon as I seem to mentioning them a lot,but they are reliable for delivering new vinyl in good condition. I have sent a couple back though due to water damage during delivery etc, no problems with refunds.