You Tube Videos

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
nige2000

Re: You Tube Videos

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:oh Nasty!! the worst track on the album and god knows why he would perform that live on TV but the title probably explains. Good to see Nigel you are doing your home work as you might find a few gems also when doing a bit of digging. I refuse to post any links for Garth Brooks youtube video's.
Should you not be concentrating on getting those bloody clocks working??

Think I will ask Fran to take that one down as it is obvious trolling
Damn it
I was looking forward to you trying to explain how that was actually good

Was waiting on a couple of parts should have em today
So should be back to clock work later
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Sean, a documentary about a 4-year-old raised by Haight-Ashbury hippies.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Some breathtaking cover versions. 

First up is St. Vincent's spare, ethereal version of Brian Eno's Some Of Them Are Old.  Where Eno's vocal is more casually absent, Clark's appears more direct and more purposeful.  Proving that she is just as forceful a communicator in a solo context as she is with a full band, here she is at the beginning of her career with a gently affecting version of Jackson Browne's These Days.

Bill Callahan's utterly beautiful version of the Mickey Newbury song, Heaven Help The Child. I adore Callahan's transformative versions of Judee Sill's Like A Rainbow and Kath Bloom's The Breeze and this is also very special. More than mere copycats, Callahan's and Clark's cover versions absorb the emotional essence of the originals and create something new and equally touching and lasting.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for the absolutely stunning collection of music you've posted Paul. It's high time I checked out Vincent's stuff as well as Callahan's latter day music. Can't get round them all :(
mcq

Post by mcq »

Thanks, Dermot. I agree there is so much great music about there waiting to be discovered and I find that exhilarating.  To be honest, it's probably the one thing that continues to give me a zest for life - both enjoying old favorites and discovering new ones.  It's been said by some that art is long and life is short so why bother trying to explore new avenues,  but we really underestimate just how long life is and how much remains to be undiscovered and, personally speaking, I need the buzz of good music (both old and new regardless of genre or what is perceived to be "cool") to keep myself on an even keel.  And on a more serious note, it is surprising to me how we can underestimate and take for granted the levels of focus and dedication that some artists put into their music and the least we can do is sit down, tune everything else out and try and connect with what they are trying to articulate.  True judgement, after all, can only follow an act of understanding and sympathy with the artist.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Thanks, Dermot. I agree there is so much great music about there waiting to be discovered and I find that exhilarating.  To be honest, it's probably the one thing that continues to give me a zest for life - both enjoying old favorites and discovering new ones.  It's been said by some that art is long and life is short so why bother trying to explore new avenues,  but we really underestimate just how long life is and how much remains to be undiscovered and, personally speaking, I need the buzz of good music (both old and new regardless of genre or what is perceived to be "cool") to keep myself on an even keel.  And on a more serious note, it is surprising to me how we can underestimate and take for granted the levels of focus and dedication that some artists put into their music and the least we can do is sit down, tune everything else out and try and connect with what they are trying to articulate.  True judgement, after all, can only follow an act of understanding and sympathy with the artist.
Beautifully put Paul....We really, really should be grateful on so many levels that there are genuine musicians out there from all genres who continue to amaze and astound us. It's up to us to pay attention and listen.

As Eliane Radigue put it so well : "Careful listening is more important than making sounds happen"
mcq

Post by mcq »

This is very special, one great artist paying tribute to another.  Martin Carthy singing David Ackles' His Name Is Andrew.  Ackles's deep, rich baritone is something irreplaceable and resonates within you when you listen to his music.  And yet, Carthy brings his own very different, yet equally valid, voice to this beautiful song, imprinting upon it a Lutheran intensity that is bleak and monochromatic in approach but which shares with Ackles' original a sense of tragedy and fateful impermanence.  Both versions are unforgettable in their own respective ways.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Again thanks for that Paul. As I'm one who never pays attention to lyrics it's a humbling experience when I do as in His Name Is Andrew. Here they are :

His Name is Andrew

He works in a canning factory.
He doesn't have a friend.
He chooses to wait alone,
For his life to end.

When Andrew was just a little boy,
He knew all the words to all the hymns of joy,
And he sang them on Sunday,
And he sang them on Monday,
And in April, and in May,
And he heard them say:
'God is love, God is love,'
And he believed them.

This child was Andrew,
He lived in a world of innocence.
On him the lion grinned.
He sang in the arms of God,
As he strummed the wind.

When Andrew was tall and twenty-one,
He wandered from God and wondered what he'd done.
For he still sang on Sunday,
Though he muddled through in May,
With a silence in his head,
'Til in jest it said:
'God redeems, God redeems,'
And he believed it.

This man was Andrew,
Hearing a voice he thought was stilled.
Back to the arms of grace
He stumbled through darkened woods
To a lighted place.

When Andrew returned to love and light,
He lifted his voice and sang away the night.
And the preacher from Sunday
Heard him singing on Monday,
And he stopped him with a word.
From the dark he heard:
'God is dead, God is dead,'
And he believed him.

My name is Andrew,
I work in a canning factory.
I do not have a friend.
I choose to wait alone
For this life to end.

David Ackles
mcq

Post by mcq »

I find the lyrics and the vocal phrasing to be of equal importance, Dermot.  It's always interesting to listen to how much care a good singer will take over the words.  When the lyrical sense is obscure, you can divine the meaning by listening closely to how the singer phrases the words, lingering over some, passing lightly over others.  Very often, there is a single line which is the lynchpin upon which the song rests.  In St. Vincent's version of Some Of Them Are Old, it is the immortal line, "to earn a crooked sixpence, you'll walk many a crooked mile".  Everything builds inexorably towards that line and you register its meaning and significance by feeling the weariness with which she sings the line.  Another example is her very emotional version of These Days.  Everything builds towards the final line, "Please don't confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them".  When Browne sings that line, he retains the same pace that he uses for the rest of the song, but St. Vincent slows it right down, taking a breath between each cracked, emotionally charged word to produce a moment of searing catharsis.
k99_64

Post by k99_64 »

Cant get enough of the entire soundtrack tbh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_artPecEaM