Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

tony

Re: Pre-launch of new range of Ciúnas Dacs & USB transports

Post by tony »

John hasn't seen this yet. The lifepo4 batteries seem to be regarded as having lifespan of circa 15yrs. The reality is even with a laptop battery that no longer holds charge it will still work if trickle charged hence no real need to worry. I am sure John can replace batteries if required and probably possible if you are handy to do it yourself. But as per above don't see that being an issue for a long time.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

streetcore wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. I actually stumbled upon the Ciúnas while looking for info about the Eastern Electric Minimax Plus. I like the flexibility and the options available on the Minimax, but I only need a USB input and prefer the small size of the Ciúnas. I'm currently using an HRT Music Streamer and prefer a DAC that is heard and not seen. So I was happy to read that the Ciúnas compares favourably to the Minimax.

My one concern is the battery. I've seen too many perfectly good power tools, cell phones, laptops, etc, rendered obsolete over the years because the battery died and replacements either weren't available or were too costly. Some of my concerns were alleviated when I read the battery in the Ciúnas is on a constant trickle charge, rather than being repeatedly charged and depleted. However I'm still a bit sceptical of the claims that the battery should last 20 years. Is there a life-time warranty on the battery? What about the DAC itself? I don't see any info regarding warranties on the website.

Thanks again.
The A123 manufacturers guaranteed the LiFePo4 batteries for a lifepsan of 10-15 years when charged from deep discharge with a high current charging scheme. Using the battery in trickle charge mode (low current) should extend this lifespan.

As Tony says, I can easily replace batteries but usually there is no need to run the DAC or converter from battery alone for best sound - the sound is the same if running it with charger connected to a low battery (as long as the battery is damaged i.e not working properly). It is also possible for anybody with rudimentary soldering skills to replace the battery.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Sorry if this is obvious... Is the Ciunas able to play DSD files? I was just trying some free ones from 2L and can't get them to play on Audirvana Plus (have not tried JPLAY yet)... Thanks
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Claus wrote:Sorry if this is obvious... Is the Ciunas able to play DSD files? I was just trying some free ones from 2L and can't get them to play on Audirvana Plus (have not tried JPLAY yet)... Thanks
No DSD playback, Claus.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Here's a nice little review, John http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-pream ... eview.html
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote:Here's a nice little review, John http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-pream ... eview.html
KM
Yes Ken,
Thanks, you must have google alerts on keywords - that review was only posted yesterday :)
A more sane review than the Steromojo one - this reviewer didn't have any issues with the case
The Ciunas is housed in a small but sturdy chassis, and the build quality is very nice indeed. There is an on/off switch on the front, a USB input, and a pair of RCA outputs
www.Ciunas.biz
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nothing as fancy as Google alerts, I picked it up here http://www.dailyaudiophile.com/
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

This XMOS USB card of any use for future projects John?
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/home/18-xmo ... lator.html
Posted by Marcin on JPlay Forum. Cheers, Pearse.

Post by nige2000 »

http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... interface/

actually bought this to play with
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/190881851691?ssP ... 1497.l2649

which uses the same xmos chipset and driver

actually thought it would work OOB with MQn 24 bit
but it doesnt unfortunately :(
still have to wait for the 24 bit version

its not terrible but id be best to reserve judgement till its burnt in
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
highstream

Post by highstream »

tony wrote: I would suggest you happily use the quality usb cable. I used direct connectors for a long time but now use a short elijah audio cable.
Tony, have you preferred the Elijah to the direct connectors sonically? I have never used anything but two connectors out the back of my computer - the one recommended by John and an adapter picked up from China that allowed me to stay with two - and have wondered about the Elijah cable. Thanks,