Copland & Abercrombie at NCH 23.4

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Tertonmike

Copland & Abercrombie at NCH 23.4

Post by Tertonmike »

" 'Evening All!" Haven't been active on here for a while so excuse me in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place but....

I am going to the Marc Copland/John Abercrombie gig in the NCH tomorrow (Tuesday 23rd) and (as I am soloing since none of my pals shares this particular enthusiasm with me!) was just wondering if any of the regulars here are going too....?

Mike
"Music is the antidote to the world of pain and sorrow"
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Copland & Abercrombie at NCH 23.4

Post by Fran »

Welcome back in!!

Nope, not going though....
Do or do not, there is no try
Tertonmike

Post by Tertonmike »

Hi Fran, I seem to have been alone among forum members at the gig on Tuesday though it was pretty well attended overall. About 200 heads/90%+ full, I reckon. Damn good too, virtuosic without being flash. They played one long set of about 90 mins plus a one-tune encore, mostly new material from a recent quartet recording session that is being released later in the year, plus a couple of standards, including the Miles Davis/Bill Evans tune, "Nardis" - Abercrombie was quite funny on his (as yet unsuccessful) quest to track down definitively the origin of the name, and on the various theories that have been put forward.

For those who like this sort of thing the same promoters have another mod jazz gig in the Pavilion Dun Laoghaire on 10th July featuring Jeff Ballard's "Fairgrounds" quartet. Plenty of notice this time!
"Music is the antidote to the world of pain and sorrow"
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

I would have loved to go to that.
Thanks for the report.
And for the heads up on that Ballard gig.
I must try harder.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford