Soul & Funk

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Soul & Funk

Post by Fran »

Joss Stone - with a voice to die for, and fantastic production, band, music, and good looks to boot it seemed she was a god send. Then corrupted by crap RnB..... anyone hear her recent album?

This is playing just now and its amazing.

Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've been on a bit of a theme the last few days.

Betty LaVette - I've got my own hell to raise.

Candi Staton

Betty Swann

Betty Wright

Doris Duke
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Derek

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

started listening to this late last night with the volume low.... I stayed up late. Just sublime stuff and a marvellously well curated compilation.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

Ivor wrote:started listening to this late last night with the volume low.... I stayed up late. Just sublime stuff and a marvellously well curated compilation.
A tasty list on that album, I must see if there's enough in me piggy bank!
And if you like that you should love this.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Derek wrote:
Ivor wrote:started listening to this late last night with the volume low.... I stayed up late. Just sublime stuff and a marvellously well curated compilation.
A tasty list on that album, I must see if there's enough in me piggy bank!

It was the best €11.99 I ever spent! I think there's more in that vein from Kent Records too... a lot from the Fame Studios.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

I have several of the KENT compilations and for the most part are well thought out.
On the down side the recordings don't sound that great. I'm not sure if it's their sourcing, inability of getting original tapes or plain bad reproduction.
Anyway I still enjoy the music, and that's what it's all about, I just wish more labels would take the effort similar to "Atlantic 1000: Best R&B Collection" CD reissues from Warner Brothers Japan, remastered using DSD technology (to the best of my knowledge), they sound pretty good, better than previous reissues from Atlantic.
I read some where that the "1000" is a reference to keeping the price below 1000 Yen, but...
You can find them in HMV shops for €7.99 each, great value.
There is also a parallel reissue for Jazz.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thanks to Derek for this one:

Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

Derek

Post by Derek »

Well over 2hrs of incredible Deep Soul Music, includes Isaac Hayes - "Joy" (over 15 minutes) and the rare David Porter version of "Hang On Sloopy" (worth the purchase price on it's own), but throw in Johnny Taylor's - "Steal Away" and William Bell's take on "I Forgot To Be Your Lover" then this is a no brainer for any Fan of Deep Soul. In a nut shell, the Best Deep Soul Compilation I've come across to date.
And the SQ is very good to boot.
Turn up the volume and listen to the opening of "In The Rain" - from The Dramatics,
it'll have you puttin' on your rain coat and grabbin' your umbrella.

Track Listing:
DISC 1
The Mad Lads - I Forgot To Be Your Lover
Isaac Hayes - Joy
The Dramatics - In The Rain
I Could Never Be Happy
The Soul Children - Don’t Take My Kindness For Weakness
David Porter - I’m Afraid The Masquerade Is Over
Booker T & The MGs - Sing A Simple Song
Little Milton - Packed Up & Took My Mind
24-Carat Black - Poverty’s Paradise
Albert King - I’ll Play The Blues For You
The Sweet Inspirations - All It Takes Is You & Me
The Emotions - As Long As I’ve Got You

DISC 2
William Bell - I Forgot To Be Your Lover
Isaac Hayes - Ike’s Mood #1
The Soul Children - Move Over
David Porter - Hang On Sloopy
Johnnie Taylor - Steal Away
Albert King - Cold Feet
The Sweet Inspirations - Why Marry
The Emotions - I Like It
Mel & Tim - Keep The Faith
Isaac Hayes - Walk On By
Booker T & The MGs - LA Jazz Song
Judy Clay - Children, Don’t Get Weary