Vinyl Cleaning

BonnieBilly

Vinyl Cleaning

Post by BonnieBilly »

just wondering what everyone uses to clean their vinyl...

someone i know is checking out whether this crowd ship to ireland.

i've not got a massive quantity of vinyl but want to keep it sounding good.

cheers,
daithi.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Vinyl Cleaning

Post by Fran »

I use a home made wet vacuum system. Solution I use is 75% RO water, 25% isopropanol and about 10mL of rinse aid as a wetting agent. Sucks off nice and clean and leaves no residue, and is pretty much a must after buying second hand records. Even some new ones benefit - I sometimes hear a few clicks in a particular spot on a new LP and a run with the cleaner nearly always sorts it out.

One of the best options would be for a few lads to go together and get an okki nokki or something like that. If 4 went together for it cost would be small.

FWIW, I've heard it said that that spin system is good enough but it seems to be dependent on a particular type of cleaner...that only they sell. I also think the vacuuming off of the fluid is your best chance of actually removing all the gunk. Its better than nothing though....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

BonnieBilly

Post by BonnieBilly »

Thanks for the info Fran.

Note to self: need to enable auto-notification of replies to posts.
tony

Post by tony »

Can ask you about the vacuuming Fran. Have no active turntable at the moment but do have some records that I wouldnt mind playing again at some stage. Are you sucking off the liquid with a wet and dry vac with a soft brush attached? or just with the nozzle .Maybe I am reading the thread incorrectly.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

No, you have it right. I made a version of the commercially available ones. So it ain't pretty, but works!

Record is on a platter with s screw down clamp. Cleaning fluid is applied with s brush. Then an arm swings in and brushes the record (wet). Motor turns the record at 20 rpm. Then that is moved back and a suction wand swung over the record and the liquid is sucked off as the lp turns. Turn over and do the other side.

That's it really. Takes a few minutes each side.one or 2 at s tome is grand But more than that gets boring fairly quick. It's noisy too (even the commercial ones are.)

Fran
DavidMc

Post by DavidMc »

For what it's worth I have a VPI record cleaning setup, if anyones interested in borrowing it for a spring cleaning session.
The whole place is a complete mess. Can't find anything. Right now I'm eating scrambled eggs, with a comb, from a shoe!
tony

Post by tony »

That system is a bit more elaborate than I realised. I thought it was just record on the table with a hoover being used hand held sucking up the gunk.
Very impressive.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Eh, well you haven't seen it yet!!!
tony

Post by tony »

Ok! I can imagine what it looks like now. It probably wouldnt look pretty sitting on an antique coffee table in the living romm. Maybe sitting beside a bench grinder in the garage would seem its natural home? Hey that doesnt matter if it is as effective as you suggest.