Eist Dubh

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
fergus

Re: Eist Dubh

Post by fergus »

Derek wrote:
Later in the evening after watching England v Scotland, I patted the Eist on their heads (dog like) and smiled a "well-played", told my amp it was "the stalwart in the team" and let the TT know it was "still playing at premier league level", never once disgracing.
Nice....I like that a lot....and all of it true!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Eist Audio

Post by Eist Audio »

Many thanks lads for the kind words!

Those albums look intriguing - and from your description I think it's time I had a go of a few of them!

A note on the sound - like any speaker, where you position it, coupled with where you sit can make a big difference to the sound. In my living room there is a band about halfway from the speakers to the chair where the bass is boomed out of proportion. In my main listening room, if either me or the speakers go into the corners I get bass gain. Sometimes when you get the positioning just right, and you can live with the location, then you get the best of all of those things. That's really only something you can fine tune over time.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Fran
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Hello to All.
I'm sorry about this delayed response to all the incredible reviews and positive comments for our Dubhs above.
"The Dubhs from above" ?
I've been away on holiday and up to me eyes since I got back.
I was catching up on the review thread while away. Couldn't wait to get home to give mine a blast!

Thanks a million. It's really gratifying and such a pleasure to hear that they're being enjoyed.
Fran and I did a lot of work to get them right, labour of love really, and to know that ye appreciate them like we do is brilliant. Honest to God.

Take Care,
Gerry
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
cybot

Post by cybot »

Nice one Gerry :) Anyway we only tell it like it is.....and the Dubh's are rather good :)
Derek

Post by Derek »

I’ve had these now since July and don’t regret the purchase in any way.

I didn’t think there was much more to get from them but after six months I can say the bottom-end has deepened and any slight running-in-edge (really only noticeable on a very few recordings) has been sanded silky-smooth. Vocals have breath and weight, realness if you like.

To repeat my initial post, dynamics are to-die-for and micro-dynamics just beautiful, a window to the music.

Non-HiFi friends on occasion will bring something they want to hear. I’ve gotten used to the, “is that the one I brought?” question.

At present I’m listening to “Johnny Hartman & Oliver Nelson” – “I Love Everybody”, turned up to gorgeous and the speakers know exactly how to provide the listening pleasure. Details in this recording can get lost in reproduction but not here.

Last week I was listening to a new purchase “Tony Joe White – HooDoo”; the guitar chops were immediate and arresting, his gravel dragged growl a throat-cut away from inaudible, every pop from the snare and guitar lick just took you deeper into the swamp atmosphere filled with alligators and chainsaw riffs. I was afraid I was going to turn the amp beyond 11.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Great Work. If you need to establish a US/Pacific presence feel free to send me a pair and I will host them as demo units for you (insert smiley face here)
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Delighted to hear you're still smiling from ear to ear Derek. Just keep those 'gators out of snapping reach :)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Gosh darn it when am I going to get to hear these bad boys?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

Diapason wrote:Gosh darn it when am I going to get to hear these bad boys?
Whenever you want, just give me a shout!
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Derek wrote:
Diapason wrote:Gosh darn it when am I going to get to hear these bad boys?
Whenever you want, just give me a shout!
Thanks Derek. There should be a window of opportunity when Penny goes to college.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2