Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by Fran »

Nope, it was given to me a years back by a fella in work. Its kind of a "road records" type of album.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote: Its kind of a "road records" type of album.

Fran

It is. But you see the problem there?

To be honest I have enough "electronica" and suchlike waiting on my shelves to be discovered so I should explode them first before buying more... I see my evening before me...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:I will be making my way slowly through this thread to determine what appeals to me Dermot.
cybot wrote: Image

This album has a lovely “feel” to it, almost Irish or Celtic in undertone. It is beautifully sung and I particularly like the general arrangement with the solo violin as accompaniment but the very delicate arrangement on the penultimate track is particularly attractive.
Take your time Fergus! Anyway it's time for me to slow down :) Nice summing up of said album. Pity it's so short. Maybe that's another of its alluring qualities.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:

Fran

To be honest I have enough "electronica" and suchlike waiting on my shelves to be discovered so I should explode them first before buying more... I see my evening before me...
Don't forget to let us know what undiscovered marvels you do have on those shelves Ivor....
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote:

Fran

Don't forget to let us know what undiscovered marvels you do have on those shelves Ivor....
Magic radips - Morgan Caney & Jamal Joory was first out... Interesting! Will take more listens in the right mood. Gone to jazz now...

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Now this is something else. One of my essential Lps..... If you do nothing else just listen to the very first track.....

https://soundcloud.com/adhocfm/sets/rob ... d-painting - listen

http://www.discogs.com/Robert-Turman-Be ... se/4264897 - buy

Recently reissued by Fabrica Records, Robert Turman’s “Beyond Painting” is a stunning piece of work.  Orginally recorded in 1990 but not released until 2010, this melancholic epic is rich in deep, languorous tones that enmesh the listener in a web of creepy and affecting sonics.
The record begins with “Soft Self Portrait”; sighing, heavily processed vocals hover above a mournful loop of backwards melody, creating a dread-filled environment of sound.  Turman carefully applies a counterpoint synth figure after the initial theme is stated, showing a deft and understated hand.  “Al-Qa’ida” introduces a guitar riff offset by murmuring synth, which is then helped along by a lush string sound.  The parts fit again, naturally and seamlessly, with a grace characteristic of this entire LP.  “First Quarter” arrives with a haunting intro that prefigures a lot of the synth work that is out right now; its dense, warm analog textures are something to bask in, upon the surface of your own sea.
Turman’s use of tape loops is everywhere and nowhere at once; the loops themselves are often the bedrock for these gently shifting melodic excursions, but are never showy or obtrusive.  “Reflux” uses loops simply, to great effect–the composition begins minimally, with interlocking looped tones playing off each other.  An ominous, expanding drone rises from the structure of the original loops and carries the drifty bliss away, turning into a decidedly gloomier middle segment, before the original loops (recontextualized now amid the darker textures) emerge and reestablish their presence.  A smart and unpredictable piece all the way.  Following this is “the Unforgiven”, a bleak and slow-moving landscape of pure sadness that functions as the LP’s centerpiece for me. I find it hard to put into words what is so affecting about this piece–but its hypnotic simplicity and sheer sonic obsessiveness are gripping every time I hear it.
The last two tracks–”Subterra” and “Beyond Painting”–continue mixing small bits of sound and melody with great success and emotional resonance.  The gentle swells of noise at the end of “Subterra” fit perfectly within the pulsing roll of the loops, before Turman unleashes some slightly jarring static bursts and delayed feedback blurts to conclude the piece.  The title track and final piece lurches to life with a stutter, setting a looped drone against a spiky, arpeggiated guitar figure.  The departure from the theme never really occurs here, but that hardly matters.  The piece gently fades from view like a car going over a desert horizon after its twelve minutes of wondrous drift.
Throughout this record Turman allows things to breathe and grow before augmenting the music slightly with different melodic and sonic elements; his patience is uncanny and rewarding.  I’d only heard his collab stuff with Dilloway prior to hearing this album; its eerie calm and and easy, unhurried nature have deeply impressed me and make me eager to hear more of Turman’s work.  Nice job by Fabrica Records for sending this worthy reissue out into the world.
Fabrica Records
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Triple vinyl edition. Would LOVE to know what you people make of this music?

Dermot, a chara, to me, large parts of that sounded like someone sucking up the dregs of a milkshake through a straw LOL!!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:Triple vinyl edition. Would LOVE to know what you people make of this music?

Dermot, a chara, to me, large parts of that sounded like someone sucking up the dregs of a milkshake through a straw LOL!!!!!
Now that is priceless :) Music to drink milkshakes to.....preferably strawberry lol!
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Now that is priceless :) Music to drink milkshakes to.....preferably strawberry lol!

Funny that you should say that as I was actually thinking of strawberry at the time....probably got that deep subliminal message that is obviously in there!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: Now that is priceless :) Music to drink milkshakes to.....preferably strawberry lol!

Funny that you should say that as I was actually thinking of strawberry at the time....probably got that deep subliminal message that is obviously in there!!
Can we expect to see it in a McDonalds ad anytime soon?