Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:
Right......What you're referring to Fergus is Brian Eno's 'ambient' textures ie the 'haze' effect. That's just his 'trademark' if you like and, being, in his own words, a 'non-musician', it might not just sit right with trained musicians etc etc and, basically, end up sounding 'wrong'.

Is that gentle enough for you Fergus ;)

Very good response my friend! As you know I would never consciously criticise any musician and I hope that I did not come across as doing that. I was just trying to explain [clumsily] my response to his music. Interestingly, I would not consider Eno a 'non-musician'.
No worries Fergus! These are the kind of discussions I/We need :)

Actually I was thinking about the 'haze' effect and it occurred to me that, maybe Eno tried to embellish that effect onto the music simply from the title 'First Light'? What do you think?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Now to another life long favourite of mine: Hans Joachim Roedelius; Austrian born, he started off as an electronic pioneer and gravitated towards the piano. To me his idiosyncratic improvisational skills are laid bare for all to hear.....whether they like it or not! I happen to like it......very much so :)

Start with the bottom one and work your way up......

fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:
Actually I was thinking about the 'haze' effect and it occurred to me that, maybe Eno tried to embellish that effect onto the music simply from the title 'First Light'? What do you think?
Yes, Dermot, that is indeed a plausable suggestion.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:

I did not really like the one on the bottom Dermot ; it does not seem to go anywhere. The other two were more interesting and I can see what you mean about the improvisation skills.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:

I did not really like the one on the bottom Dermot ; it does not seem to go anywhere. The other two were more interesting and I can see what you mean about the improvisation skills.
No worries Fergus I understand where you're coming from. You see, to me it's doesn't matter if it's going somewhere or not. It's a structure-less piece of music that exists in its own little world: an unexpected but charming geschenk des augenblicks......and, for that, I'm eternally grateful. But that's just me :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Right here's my final contribution to this almost week long devotion to the old piano; This chap is an old friend of mine from Ohio. I first read about him back in early 80's and, when I picked up a rare second hand copy of his first Lp I was hooked. Wrote him a letter and the rest is history.....
Incidentally the last piece was written for his wife. Enjoy.....

Finally thanks to Fergus for his continued encouragement. It means a lot.....

fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Right here's my final contribution to this almost week long devotion to the old piano; This chap is an old friend of mine from Ohio. I first read about him back in early 80's and, when I picked up a rare second hand copy of his first Lp I was hooked. Wrote him a letter and the rest is history.....

You introduced me to the music of Tim Story some time ago Dermot and I found him interesting. The selection above includes some very good, attractive and intriguing music that has quite some depth to it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Right here's my final contribution to this almost week long devotion to the old piano....

Well done Dermot on an intriguing and educational themed series of posts. It has been most enjoyable listening.
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:Right here's my final contribution to this almost week long devotion to the old piano; This chap is an old friend of mine from Ohio. I first read about him back in early 80's and, when I picked up a rare second hand copy of his first Lp I was hooked. Wrote him a letter and the rest is history.....

You introduced me to the music of Tim Story some time ago Dermot and I found him interesting. The selection above includes some very good, attractive and intriguing music that has quite some depth to it.
I like the way you noticed the depth Fergus. An awful lot wouldn't.....
Claus

Post by Claus »

New stuff from Nels Cline and White Out. Stream for free here:

http://www.avclub.com/article/stream-ou ... e-o-226615