Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by Fran »

Not sure exactly where this really belongs but is pretty damn wonderful

Do or do not, there is no try
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:20 pm Image
He's bloody everywhere these days! Maybe he should have called it 'All Over The Place'! To think it was Peter Broderick who first 'discovered' him and scarcely anyone knows who the discoverer is! I believe Nils recorded this one in his newly built studio. Good luck to him. I just hope he doesn't lose what he initially 'had'.....One sure way of finding out is to listen to this :) 'Scuse me.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

When I hear 'perfection' I always head for the pioneers.....Sometimes limitations bring out the best music in any genre.

Klaus Schulze talks about "Irrlicht":

"Irrlicht" still has more connections to Musique concrete than with today's electronics. I still never owned a synthesizer at the time. I had a damaged amplifier, which I had hotwired and which only survived for this album, after "Irrlicht", it completely broke! When you turned up the volume control it caused internal feedback, a sine, and with the help of the tremolo I let it chirp. It got broken because of the feedback. I also modified the organ so that it wouldn't sound like a normal organ. I also had a cassette recorder with a cheap microphone. With this device I went to the FU (the renowned "Freie Universität Berlin") to record the orchestra there. I then used a few filters to alienate these recordings in order to make them sound strange.

The Colloquium Musica Orchestra was a real classical orchestra. I just went to one of their rehearsals and said, "I like what you're doing here but could you play something completely different for me for half an hour? I'm just making a record". And the conductor asked me, "what would you like to have?" "Well", I said, "I don't care, just play anything! I just want to have the sound. I'm going to play the tape backwards anyway". He said, "Then come to a rehearsal and record that!" So I got an orchestra and didn't even have to pay for it.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Another one made with broken tools and a little bit of imagination.

cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to Jim O'Rourke's 'Old News Series'. This one's #9 that came out a while ago. Still waiting on 10.....

Tiny Mix Tapes:
In 2011, the world was changed when Editions Mego announced a series of vinyl-only records from the one, the only, limited-edition, embossed hologram, 14kt gold, new and improved human that is Jim O’Rourke. The eMego series started in June 2011 with volume 5 (the first four were self-released in Japan from 2002-2005). After that, came volume 6. And after that, volume 7. Then, out of nowhere and defying all expectations, volume 8 was released. Life, while completely chaotic, random, miserable, and empty of meaning, punctuated by an acute awareness of world-weary insignificance and impending death, was good.

But during those many moments of hedonistic O’Rourke listening sessions, did you ever think about what was up with volume 9? Did you ever once think about how the eight Steamroom releases on his Bandcamp page could’ve signaled the end of the Old News series??

Of course you didn’t. That’s why I’m the journalist making the big bucks, here today to happily objectively report that O’Rourke has announced, after roughly a year since volume 8, the release of Old News No. 9. But it’s not really all that old of news, as the ninth installment features a brand new composition, recorded in Tokyo from 2012 to 2013. According to eMego: “The work here showcases the kind of experimental concrete drift which O’Rourke has been exploring for a number of years resulting in a magical blend of musical abstraction. Whistling drones morph into crystalised rain, shortwave chaos folds into haunting organ landscapes and the intimacy of this particular journey is witnessed through the ebbing tides of sound that emanate throughout this monumental release.”

cybot

Post by cybot »

A long time waiting on a vinyl release for this one. It's a double too.

Boomkat:

"Presented by two separate stacks of Cluster recordings - one comprised of their studio work, the other of live performances - an innocent listener might conclude they are the efforts of two completely different artists. This would understandably have been the case in 1980, when the structured, tuneful miniatures of 1979's Großes Wasser and 1981's Curiosum were unlikely bookends to the sprawling electroacoustic abstractions of Live in Vienna.

But as fans of the idiosyncratic duo already knew, Cluster's trajectory was always a restless one - more about disruption than gentle evolution."

Cluster & Farnbaur Recorded live at the "Wiener Festwochen Alternativ", 12th June 1980
cybot

Post by cybot »

An early favourite from 2007 - Piano,Celeste and wonderfully captured Pump Organ sonics. Originally intended as a Christmas present for family and friends.

markof

Post by markof »

Soundtrack to Hurricane Sandy. Really nice, lots of short tracks (30) - kind of like USA Live.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

Inspired by Laurie's mention in previous post :)