Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Diapason

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by Diapason »

No matter your taste for the music, you have to admire that kind of dedication and skill. Sounds fab!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fergus,

Here's the two ECM beauties I alluded to. The first one is a selection of music featuring the subtle contributions of the ubiquitous Garbarek from the films of one Theo Angelopoulos and the second title from one of his films but not featuring Garbarek. Both are totally outstanding both musically and sonically and are a much loved pair in my own collection. Of course the vinyl copies are something to behold especially the first one which comes with a beautifully rendered Lp sized book. Absolutely gorgeous.....I've deliberately omitted YouTube links etc as this is something that will surprise and delight anyone who takes a risk the old fashioned way ;)

http://www.discogs.com/Eleni-Karaindrou ... se/1207832

http://www.discogs.com/Eleni-Karaindrou ... se/1382073

fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:I remember Officium being utterly massive but I fear I never really got it. Must give it another go some day.

Interesting Simon; was it the juxtaposition of the "old" and the "new" or simply his treatment of the music that you did not get?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:I was lucky to see/hear them perform their Officium Novum in the North Cathedral, Cork in 2011.
The performance was totally non-amplified and they used the building as a "sound box" and were able to fine tune volume, tone, reverberation, delay and resonance by moving between the main aisle/nave, transepts and main altar areas.
Garbarek made the most of the high, domed ceiling over the altar while the singers moved throughout the cathedral.

Sheer magic.

Mark.

That sounds amazing Mark; yet another example of how one cannot really top a good live performance. That one sounds like a memory and an experience to cherish!
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Fergus,

Here's the two ECM beauties I alluded to. The first one is a selection of music featuring the subtle contributions of the ubiquitous Garbarek from the films of one Theo Angelopoulos and the second title from one of his films but not featuring Garbarek. Both are totally outstanding both musically and sonically and are a much loved pair in my own collection. Of course the vinyl copies are something to behold especially the first one which comes with a beautifully rendered Lp sized book. Absolutely gorgeous.....I've deliberately omitted YouTube links etc as this is something that will surprise and delight anyone who takes a risk the old fashioned way ;)

http://www.discogs.com/Eleni-Karaindrou ... se/1207832

http://www.discogs.com/Eleni-Karaindrou ... se/1382073

Much apreciated Dermot; thanks a lot!
cybot

Post by cybot »

You are more than welcome Fergus! BTW the Discogs links were only to give some info on the instruments used among other things.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:
Diapason wrote:I remember Officium being utterly massive but I fear I never really got it. Must give it another go some day.

Interesting Simon; was it the juxtaposition of the "old" and the "new" or simply his treatment of the music that you did not get?
Well, I think you summed it up pretty well earlier: "On one level this sounds like Gregorian Chant being accompanied by the ravings of a solo jazz saxophonist". I couldn't really get past that, and I ended up feeling that the whole was less than the sum of its parts. I was a lot younger then, though, and probably less open to such things. I'd possibly feel a bit differently about it now if I gave it a go.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:You are more than welcome Fergus! BTW the Discogs links were only to give some info on the instruments used among other things.
Thanks again Dermot.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Well, I think you summed it up pretty well earlier: "On one level this sounds like Gregorian Chant being accompanied by the ravings of a solo jazz saxophonist". I couldn't really get past that, and I ended up feeling that the whole was less than the sum of its parts. I was a lot younger then, though, and probably less open to such things. I'd possibly feel a bit differently about it now if I gave it a go.

Cheers Simon; I am still pondering the experience and have not yet come to any conclusion. I will not listen to it again for a while, just to give myself some breathing space with it. For someone with conservative taste like myself is certainly took me out of my comfort zone!
cybot

Post by cybot »