MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

i currently believe that running CPU at full speed produces better SQ than 0% speed. as long as you disable/ignore all monitors and controls in the bios:

i have disabled all of them. even 2.58 sse4 intel tot align sounds clean and relatively airy. it used to sound control and dirty.

maybe CPU full speed stresses more work for monitoring voltages and temperature or something.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Last night, amongst all the fora activity I actually listened to MQn :-)

2.60 8 4 - I still have to try the other 2.60 versions. What I want to say though is that whilst the earlier versions have been excellent, 2.60, as you'd hope is very very good indeed. I was playing Bonnie Raitt / The Lost Broadcast; this is a live recording and it was replayed with fabulous presence, far more so that I've ever heard from it previously. Bonnie's voice.....amazing, along with many other aspects. The presence I perceived is something I associate with really good record decks and what CD/CA can't usually do.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:2.60 sse4 intel 8 4 best SQ for me, 8 add is a bit tight and digital sounding

would like to build a haswell audio pc, is there a spec I can follow, saw a reference to one in the PFM thread and thought it might have come from here.
-choose a z87 board. overclocking board is better. it has better voltage/current management.
-if you have a USB DAC, make sure that USB port has dedicated IRQ.
-choose a small board.
-that's about it.
-not sure about power supply. i would like a new one for good SQ if someone could recommend.
Clive

Post by Clive »

I need to ask how some are playing 24/192 files with 2.60. I've read that MQn places all files in a 24 bit container but I can't play hi res even it's slugged down to 44.1 by MQn - what am I missing here? The elderly 24/96 version works.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

rdsu wrote:Jc and sbgk got banned on CA for no apparent reason to me?
im sure life will go on
The reason was lack of education, respect and professionalism!

When we make some question about something that they can't answer, they didn't response well, and starts replying like we are against them...

Just one example:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post252143

I didn't listen MQn, but even if SBGK made a great audio player, that doesn't mean nothing...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unbelievable! My enemy is everywhere I go lol.

hey rdsu, let's just be friends.

if you continue reading the link, you would find I am right:

Originally Posted by Computer Audio Design
Hello jesuscheung,

I spent sojme time today trying your suggestions and I agree with you! Leaving the application comaptibility engine enabled and leaving MMCSS enabled does sound better! It has been a loooong time since I did listening tests on these two. I appreciate your input, thank you. It appears you have also spent some time in this area so let us all know any of your ideas.

As far as the IRQ8 priority I have had issues with timers in general depending on the computer being used. On all of our computers setting IRQ8 priority to 1 does help the SQ, but that does not mean it will for all computers so I suggest people to try it with and without.

Scott
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Just a quick "Hi" - another refugee from CA.

AKA MarkW on PFM.

Been a casual visitor to your terrific site here on and off for a while. It's nice to be here.

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

Welcome Mark - good to see you here too
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jesuscheung wrote:
sbgk wrote:2.60 sse4 intel 8 4 best SQ for me, 8 add is a bit tight and digital sounding

would like to build a haswell audio pc, is there a spec I can follow, saw a reference to one in the PFM thread and thought it might have come from here.
-choose a z87 board. overclocking board is better. it has better voltage/current management.
-if you have a USB DAC, make sure that USB port has dedicated IRQ.
-choose a small board.
-that's about it.
-not sure about power supply. i would like a new one for good SQ if someone could recommend.
i could live with that

just change the order a bit

Power supplies linear/or battery min of 3 (4 pin cpu, ssd/usb3, pico psu) (dac best powered by battery too)
1150 chipset small mobo one of the main brands
min of 4 thread cpu i3 4130 upward
cl9 1600 mhz ram fit for tight timings
fanless case

Power supplies change the sound alot may be necessary to adjust bios to suit

IRQ for dac make a good difference too

have not as of yet (bothered to) found a fool proof way of working the battery powersupplies other than leaving it all on all the time or plugging it all out.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

Hi

Just joined this forum as MQN mentioned on JPLAY forums - I've been using JPLAY for a while but really keen to hear this software. I downloaded a version the other day but couldn't get anything to play.

I'm using a dCS Debussy DAC and in JPLAY I have to set the Bitstream setting to 24 bit for it to work, if I set this to Native or 32 bit JPLAY won't work.

So could there be a compatibility problem with my DAC and MQN because my DAC only works with 24 bit ? Although I'm only trying to play 16 bit WAV files?

Sorry, I'm not that technical but welcome any advice.

Regards
Clive
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Clive101 wrote:Hi

Just joined this forum as MQN mentioned on JPLAY forums - I've been using JPLAY for a while but really keen to hear this software. I downloaded a version the other day but couldn't get anything to play.

I'm using a dCS Debussy DAC and in JPLAY I have to set the Bitstream setting to 24 bit for it to work, if I set this to Native or 32 bit JPLAY won't work.

So could there be a compatibility problem with my DAC and MQN because my DAC only works with 24 bit ? Although I'm only trying to play 16 bit WAV files?

Sorry, I'm not that technical but welcome any advice.

Regards
Clive
whats your cpu?
clive
can you send me a link to the dac driver
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's