MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: MQN

Post by sima66 »

Are you having a party without me?! ;-)
Sorry, I'm late! Little troubles with the "subscribe" questions!
Everything calm and relax I can see. Like good old times.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Just catching a listen to 2.60 add 8 there now - sounds super! I am think there seems to be a little bit more dynamics in there, or maybe it's that the leading/trailing edges are just that little bit better defined.

Btw lads, don't be shy to head over to the music fora (classical /everything else) and post up the stuff you're listening to and you might even get a recommendation or 3 for some new music!

+1 on getting Hi res playing and my aul favourite, flac conversion!

Thanks again Gordon!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:I think Pearse is right it would be sensible to sit back take stock rather than rabid posting just to get started on here. Selfishly I wish Gordon would try and look back and deal with some of the issues relating to dacs not being able to play hires. Not sure where he ultimately wants to go with MQn. If commercial these issues need to be sorted. If not commercial well then the only hope for this issue is Gordon seeing it as a challenge.

Thank god you think that way about the PFM thread. At some points I was holding my head in shame for bothering to post. You sum it up nicely. There is no hope there I don't watch south park but my sons review of the episode relating to the mania that breaks out when they realise that the world is due to end two days before the day after tomorrow and it dawns on them that it is today.
we are nearly at the end of churning out loads of different versions, after that there are 1 or 2 things I would like to try, but they are more problematic and will either work or not. I never envisaged any money coming out of this, it was experimental aimed as much at generating a debate about the effect of the player on the sound, unfortunately the debate has become polarised, then again it is the first year of development so functionality will improve. Am getting a loan of a JK 24 bit dac so would like to test any 24 bit version on that first, so it's a few days yet.

24 bit first, flac second then unicode fn

find 2.60 8 add a bit too much, the add instruction lifts the sound for some reason or does the dec instruction depress the detail ? Anyway, you are listening to the effect of 1 instruction change that's used to increment the counter 2756 times a second for 16/44.1.

I have to counter the hairy arsed engineer type comments being bandied about, MQn uses state of the art coding techniques/tools and instructions and has been peer reviewed by a very experienced c++/assembly programmer (yammamoto2000), it didn't get to sound like that by accident, if it was that easy then surely other players would sound the same or better.
Last edited by sbgk on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks for that Gordon will leave you at it and look forward to the results. Personally I need to get time over the next week to just enjoy the versions currently there.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

sbgk wrote:
tony wrote:I think Pearse is right it would be sensible to sit back take stock rather than rabid posting just to get started on here. Selfishly I wish Gordon would try and look back and deal with some of the issues relating to dacs not being able to play hires. Not sure where he ultimately wants to go with MQn. If commercial these issues need to be sorted. If not commercial well then the only hope for this issue is Gordon seeing it as a challenge.

Thank god you think that way about the PFM thread. At some points I was holding my head in shame for bothering to post. You sum it up nicely. There is no hope there I don't watch south park but my sons review of the episode relating to the mania that breaks out when they realise that the world is due to end two days before the day after tomorrow and it dawns on them that it is today.
we are nearly at the end of churning out loads of different versions, after that there are 1 or 2 things I would like to try, but they are more problematic and will either work or not. I never envisaged any money coming out of this, it was experimental aimed as much at generating a debate about the effect of the player on the sound, unfortunately the debate has become polarised, then again it is the first year of development so functionality will improve. Am getting a loan of a JK 24 bit dac so would like to test any 24 bit version on that first, so it's a few days yet.

24 bit first, flac second then unicode fn

find 2.60 8 add a bit too much, the add instruction lifts the sound for some reason or does the dec instruction depress the detail ? Anyway, you are listening to the effect of 1 instruction change that's used to increment the counter 2756 times a second for 16/44.1.
Hi sbgk

I've just joined forum and hear some great reports on SQ compared to other software players. However, I cannot get my DAC to recognise / play at all - I've tried lots of different builds and none seems to work - I can get MQNPlayer.exe running in task manager but no sound. I suspect it's because, in all other audio software, I have to set the software to output in 24 bit and I don't think MQN supports 24 bit output but just 32 bit - am I correct?

I see that you mention that you may be testing a 24 bit DAC so do you think you may find a solution soon?

Many thanks
Clive
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

I've just joined forum and hear some great reports on SQ compared to other software players. However, I cannot get my DAC to recognise / play at all - I've tried lots of different builds and none seems to work - I can get MQNPlayer.exe running in task manager but no sound. I suspect it's because, in all other audio software, I have to set the software to output in 24 bit and I don't think MQN supports 24 bit output but just 32 bit - am I correct?

I see that you mention that you may be testing a 24 bit DAC so do you think you may find a solution soon?

Many thanks
Clive[/quote]

not sure mqnplayer.exe should be running, you should be able to play 16/44.1 using mqncontrol.exe and mqnplay.exe as described in the mqnreadme.txt file
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Another evening gone,still i can't get this to work...Driving me mad at this stage.
I just seem to be going round in circles..Back to the dinosaur Jplay for me:)
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sbgk wrote: I have to counter the hairy arsed engineer type comments being bandied about, MQn uses state of the art coding techniques/tools and instructions and has been peer reviewed by a very experienced c++/assembly programmer (yammamoto2000), it didn't get to sound like that by accident, if it was that easy then surely other players would sound the same or better.
OK, I didn't think you would mind that title in the way that I thought it was being used - bottom(no pun intended)-up design approach?
I'll correct my PFM post where I say that I didn't think you would mind.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jkeny wrote:
sbgk wrote: I have to counter the hairy arsed engineer type comments being bandied about, MQn uses state of the art coding techniques/tools and instructions and has been peer reviewed by a very experienced c++/assembly programmer (yammamoto2000), it didn't get to sound like that by accident, if it was that easy then surely other players would sound the same or better.
OK, I didn't think you would mind that title in the way that I thought it was being used - bottom(no pun intended)-up design approach?
I'll correct my PFM post where I say that I didn't think you would mind.
no need to correct it over there

I don't think it was bottom up, It started with the obvious things and worked it's way down until it ended up at the memcpy assembly code, each area has been examined in forensic detail as to how it affects the sound.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jadarin wrote:Another evening gone,still i can't get this to work...Driving me mad at this stage.
I just seem to be going round in circles..Back to the dinosaur Jplay for me:)
sorry to hear that, obviously support is difficult at this stage, maybe others can help.