MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Beresford

Re: MQN

Post by Beresford »

I seem to remember reading somewhere in the "Audiophile Optimiser" notes that Server 2016, unlike Server 21012, does not include Kernel Streaming, which is used by MQn. And that AO has a way of putting it back in. Check it out, as my memory is not very reliable.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Beresford wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:00 pm I seem to remember reading somewhere in the "Audiophile Optimiser" notes that Server 2016, unlike Server 21012, does not include Kernel Streaming, which is used by MQn. And that AO has a way of putting it back in. Check it out, as my memory is not very reliable.
With the 2016 in Core mode and GUI I used AO and enabled Kernel.
The "symptoms" where exact the same, even when I did not apply AO.
I forgot to mention that after the slow start of MQn, when I finally see the mqnplay and mqncontrol in Task manager, my PC freezes for the length of the song, but no sound!

I give up and went back to 2012!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I had to reinstall the 2012 server on my SATA DOM and now I can't get MQn to play!
I keep getting this message (see picture):
It was much easier when Nigel installed for me! :)

I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

well 5 years later and I thought all noise would have been removed and digital music would all be perfect by now, but seems the same challenges persist and there seems to be more people willing to experiment as everything matters eg use of FMC on ethernet etc

The forum seems quiet, hope you're all ok.
sebna

Post by sebna »

How are you doing? It has been a long time.

I am doing fine hope the same goes for everyone else, and I still keep dreaming about LDN15 version that can play more than 1st 50mb of a wave file :).

Are you planning to go back to MQN development?
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sebna wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:27 am How are you doing? It has been a long time.

I am doing fine hope the same goes for everyone else, and I still keep dreaming about LDN15 version that can play more than 1st 50mb of a wave file :).

Are you planning to go back to MQN development?
got a bit burnt out by MQn and haven't listened to hifi for years, hope to get back into it.
You'll have to remind me what a LDN15 version is as have forgotten a lot of what went on.
cheers
tony

Post by tony »

Two blasts from the past :) Hi Seb & Gordon, great to hear you are both doing fine. I thought you both gave up the hifi habit!
Forum has gone quiet alright, I suppose everything has its moment in the sun. It lasted a long time though and was fun for a few of us if maybe tedious for others.

A good few of us moved over to wtfplay. Much easier to implement and operating system on a usb stick. Small kernel running in memory and tracks loaded into ram for playback. Think that is the right explanation for it. SD card players have also been done by a few and as you probably both know hi end streaming is getting closer and closer to CA especially when you can use an external dac.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

there has been progress in recognition that everything matters, the move now seems to be streamers, dlna servers and fibre media convertors along with noise reducers and conditioners
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

As I type this I am streaming from Qobuz on the phone to a bluetooth receiver and i2s from there into an AD1862 DAC. Its not the same sonic level as either WTFplay or SD card player, but its good enough not to make you feel you are missing something (even though you know you are missing something!) Good depth and soundstage etc. If it improved just a tad more, then it would be up there at the top of the pile.
Do or do not, there is no try
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

From my side I did continue on the digital route with power supplies from high end linear to batteries to supercaps, USB over Ethernet converters, conditioners & filters, clocks, i2s instead of USB, SD players instead of tricked out dual PC setups and various delta sigma and ladder DAC builds.

Built my last DAC and buffer stage just over a year ago as the end game DAC with SD player and USB to i2s sources. Its the best digital chain I could come up with after more years than I can remember chasing a challenger to the best turntable/tape sources I have heard.

Its good and to my ears beats a DCS Bartok streaming DAC I also have in my chain but the convenience of the Bartok with Qobuz has meant the home build DAC gets little use these days.

The only faint hope of a return to digital tinkering again would be if Fryderyk @frd1996 ever continued development of his Odroid C4 based player he demoed last June 2022 at Tony's place then I might go back down that rabbit hole. That unit really surprised me with its capabilities and potential on a low cost build.

Due to luck and circumstance my goto these days for audio reference playback is listening to 1/4" 2 track master tape copies on a Studer A80, the best digital has gotten closer in recent years but there is still a small gap. I think Seb will remember that tape experience from Scalford many years ago :-)

Best wishes to all the digital crew still kicking and striving for better!