MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

Ken Moreland wrote:Aleg, I'm using mqncontrol 3.83 avx2 which has been best for me so far . I tried 3.85 but didn't like it. I haven't tried any of the later versions yet.
KM
Hi Ken

Good to hear that, because that's my favourite one too, also compared to the later ones.
I'm now also using the same combi 3.83/9.02

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 3.88 and 9.05 avx2 cuinas/aa/aleg

as far as I know 3.88 has the same settings as 3.83, don't have an exact record of what 3.83 was.

9.05 has a small code tweak to 9.02

3.88 has the same setting that 9.02 used.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tanopereira wrote:
sbgk wrote:anyone tried this player ? opposite of mqn, he took 10 years, so only another 8 to go.

http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/index.html

Since I've been left out of the MQN wagon (I don't have Win8 nor AVX2) I've been using Bughead, it is really good in my opinion. The latest version 4.20 is amazing.
does the normal version not work on win 7 ?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

rickmcinnis wrote:
sbgk wrote:uploaded 9.02 cuinas/aa/aleg

quite a bit more detail, haven't listened to it for long, seems on the right track.

9.03 is less harsh, quite sweet.

just playing about with the security attributes of the device/pin functions. less is more.
If you are saying that less security is making for better sound - that sounds like the improvements heard with cPLAY when we were able to minimize the SAM and SECURITY hives in the registry. Less important but still worthwhile was disabling debugging on all .dlls that were left in the system32 folder. There is something about removing all interference. We thought of it as a calmed OS.

With NTLite being available I am trying to make an audio only OS with 10 preview.

I can get the system32 folder to below 1G. Many folders can simply be removed.

Would you be willing to tell me which files are necessary for MQN to work? I have used DEPENDENCY WALKER but it shows lots of strange files I have never heard of and are not even in a full version of 10. Not really understanding the architecture of a .dll maybe these are parts of the listed .dlls?

At this point I have not got one of these OS to work with MQN but at the same time for some reason I am not being able to get it to work on my "full" 10 preview install. Cannot imagine what I am doing wrong. Never had trouble before.

Hope this isn't considered off-topic since I think there is something to be gained from working on a single purpose OS for MQN.
went back to the standard security settings. think control still uses wasapi functions which can be removed at some stage.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Aleg,
My testing is not very thorough or scientific.
I usually listen to a couple of favourite albums like Cassandra Wilson/ Blue Light Till Dawn and listen to for detail and involvement. This combo has been most exhilarating raising SQ up to the level of DSD which is something I thought I'd never be able to say about 16bit. I keep an eye on postings about new versions just in case :)
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:...

as far as I know 3.88 has the same settings as 3.83, don't have an exact record of what 3.83 was.

It is not quite the same.
3.83 has greater depth of sound, 3.88 is a bit more up front but also sounding a bit flattish.
3.83 is more pleasant to listen to, and I can imagine what Ken hears when he says it rivals DSD.

Cheers
Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
jrling

Post by jrling »

rickmcinnis wrote:
sbgk wrote:uploaded 9.02 cuinas/aa/aleg

quite a bit more detail, haven't listened to it for long, seems on the right track.

9.03 is less harsh, quite sweet.

just playing about with the security attributes of the device/pin functions. less is more.
If you are saying that less security is making for better sound - that sounds like the improvements heard with cPLAY when we were able to minimize the SAM and SECURITY hives in the registry. Less important but still worthwhile was disabling debugging on all .dlls that were left in the system32 folder. There is something about removing all interference. We thought of it as a calmed OS.

With NTLite being available I am trying to make an audio only OS with 10 preview.

I can get the system32 folder to below 1G. Many folders can simply be removed.

Would you be willing to tell me which files are necessary for MQN to work? I have used DEPENDENCY WALKER but it shows lots of strange files I have never heard of and are not even in a full version of 10. Not really understanding the architecture of a .dll maybe these are parts of the listed .dlls?

At this point I have not got one of these OS to work with MQN but at the same time for some reason I am not being able to get it to work on my "full" 10 preview install. Cannot imagine what I am doing wrong. Never had trouble before.

Hope this isn't considered off-topic since I think there is something to be gained from working on a single purpose OS for MQN.
Hi - good to see you here - you were a great influence on CPlay. If I can, would be happy to see if I could help you get it running. PM me if you want.

I for one would be very interested in a dedicated MQn Windows OS. Let me know if I can help you testing.

I was wondering about Windows 10 Preview though as the choice of OS? It is still pretty much a work in progress by MS and changes all the time, which surely would make it difficult for you. There are rumours that Win 10 will have native UAC2 driver built in, but I also believe that is not yet in the preview. A cut-down Win 8.1 would probably give WS 2012 R2 a run for its money and appeal to many who don't have a 2012 R2 licence.

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

3.83 has greater depth of sound, 3.88 is a bit more up front but also sounding a bit flattish.
3.83 is more pleasant to listen to, and I can imagine what Ken hears when he says it rivals DSD.

Cheers
Aleg
3.89 any better ?
jrling

Post by jrling »

sbgk wrote:
tanopereira wrote:
sbgk wrote:anyone tried this player ? opposite of mqn, he took 10 years, so only another 8 to go.

http://oryaaaaa.world.coocan.jp/bughead/index.html

Since I've been left out of the MQN wagon (I don't have Win8 nor AVX2) I've been using Bughead, it is really good in my opinion. The latest version 4.20 is amazing.
does the normal version not work on win 7 ?
I feel I have dropped off the wagon too. The last MQnPlay Normal that was not device specific was 8.92 on 11 December. Since then it has been exclusively AVX2 and device specific.

That's not a complaint, but it is marginalising those like me who can only use Normal. Ditto MQnControl with 3.84 being the only recent Normal version.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Cheers
Aleg
3.89 any better ?
Moving in the right direction, but 3.83 has a more round sound and still more depth of sound. The combination of roundness and depth is what I think it makes a special one.