MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

MQn still easily holds its ground against wtfplay, also the latest 0.5.
Prefer the MQn with 44/16 against all the highres versions using wtfplay.

Are you planning to do any further developments, like highres?
That should be able to become mind boggling.

Cheers
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Interesting. I am taking from your result that WTFPlay, in only its 5th release, holds its own against MQn; seems like you were impressed.
I would be interested in your opinion comparing 16/44.1 WAV on both players? I find 16/44.1, which is mostly what I own, can sound better than many of my hi-res recordings on WTFPlay.

Also did you try playing with the settings for Period, Frame and Priority on WTFPlay - they can make a useful improvement when tuned to your rig's preferences.
Lastly which of the 4 Kernels did you use for the comparison WTF 13, 14, 15 or 16?

Thanks.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jrling wrote:Interesting. I am taking from your result that WTFPlay, in only its 5th release, holds its own against MQn; seems like you were impressed.
I would be interested in your opinion comparing 16/44.1 WAV on both players? I find 16/44.1, which is mostly what I own, can sound better than many of my hi-res recordings on WTFPlay.

Also did you try playing with the settings for Period, Frame and Priority on WTFPlay - they can make a useful improvement when tuned to your rig's preferences.
Lastly which of the 4 Kernels did you use for the comparison WTF 13, 14, 15 or 16?

Thanks.
Why isn't there a secret player listening impressions thread ?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:MQn still easily holds its ground against wtfplay, also the latest 0.5.
Prefer the MQn with 44/16 against all the highres versions using wtfplay.

Are you planning to do any further developments, like highres?
That should be able to become mind boggling.

Cheers
Will have a go, seems it will be a while before players are obsolete.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded play v264, compiled with new version of visual studio. Unexpected lift in SQ results, lovely extended treble and better detail. Uses exactly the same code and settings as v263.

uploaded loader v107/control v118/rewrite v52. A bit brighter sounding.

uploaded v108/v119/v53/v264 which restores the balance, still great detail and attack with the new version of vs, but not so fierce in the treble.

on the question of whether mqn is better than secret player, mqn has control of the instruction pipeline, code alignment, register use and is interacting directly with the driver, that's not going to happen with ALSA and the sq is always going to be compromised. I also have a suspicion that windows scheduling is more advanced than linux which makes it sound less harsh.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Gordon

Your latest version (when also using the new rewrite version) is absolutely amazingly good.
It is really mesmerising, listening to the album "Tokyo Adagio" by Charlie Haden and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, even though I had to downsample it to 44/16.

I keep wondering how it might sound in its original high res, hope you find the time to get a 96/24 version out (and more resolutions if possible).

Cheers
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
pink

Post by pink »

you can setup desired scheduler in kernel, including BFS one from http://users.tpg.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ after patching the kernel

that`s superior over windows, you have choice against you have what you have;-)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:Gordon

Your latest version (when also using the new rewrite version) is absolutely amazingly good.
It is really mesmerising, listening to the album "Tokyo Adagio" by Charlie Haden and Gonzalo Rubalcaba, even though I had to downsample it to 44/16.

I keep wondering how it might sound in its original high res, hope you find the time to get a 96/24 version out (and more resolutions if possible).

Cheers
mostly down to vs. Shall work on hirez this week.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

pink wrote:you can setup desired scheduler in kernel, including BFS one from http://users.tpg.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ after patching the kernel

that`s superior over windows, you have choice against you have what you have;-)
sorry, does not parse.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:Gordon

Cheers
mostly down to vs. Shall work on hirez this week.

Hi Gordon

Do you already have something that we can test for high-res or are you still working on it?