MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
darkpink

Re: MQN

Post by darkpink »

Okay, how do you guys play music ordinarily then?

I used to play music with mqn by just pressing a hot key command. You use older mqn versions for casual listening?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

darkpink wrote:Okay, how do you guys play music ordinarily then?

I used to play music with mqn by just pressing a hot key command. You use older mqn versions for casual listening?
Normal listening is done here using 4.25/9.12 started via batch after Ctrl-C from explorer window.

The tri-split versions are only used for testing and occasionally a single track that is just over 50MB full size.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Aleg wrote:
darkpink wrote:Okay, how do you guys play music ordinarily then?

Normal listening is done here using 4.25/9.12 started via batch after Ctrl-C from explorer window.

The tri-split versions are only used for testing and occasionally a single track that is just over 50MB full size.
As an alternative you might use Taggarts tool MQnLoad with the old versions as well. It gives you additional possibilities like easily changing MQn versions or playing flac with MQn. It has been introduced earlier in this thread.

Take care
Thomas
Last edited by Octagon on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded v25 uses different low level instructions, not sure which I prefer, this one seems to have more detail, less thumping bass.

v26 back to previous instructions, bit better all round for detail, but still has good bass. Right, must get onto the device name

v27 alignment fix after all these changes, if you only listen to one this is the one to try.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

whats the buffer/period size these days?

briefly tried v24 earlier seems a good improvement on the last ks i tested
(thanks guys for the mqnfolders)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:whats the buffer/period size these days?

Nigel can you fire over the folders when you get a chance. Not sure if it is my room or MQn but the 63's are a completely different beast tonight.
Wonder was Pearse using Ultrasteam even at Scalford? Maybe hibernate might have helped but I think judging by comments from lots of other people bass boom issues abounded in Scalford.

Gordon did you make it to the show??
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:

Nigel can you fire over the folders when you get a chance. Not sure if it is my room or MQn but the 63's are a completely different beast tonight.
Wonder was Pearse using Ultrasteam even at Scalford? Maybe hibernate might have helped but I think judging by comments from lots of other people bass boom issues abounded in Scalford.

its the diyinhk version the guys sent me and i haven't bothered to learn how to hexedit yet
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:

no, was tempted, but couldn't make it in the end. Did you go ?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

So JPlay dac link is just using the device driver interrupt to time the swapping of buffers.

With MQn there is no swapping of buffers because there is no copying of data or streaming and it has always used the driver interrupt to time the next buffer.

I tried JPlay 6, but found the 0.5 ms system timer setting to be too digital (why not make this configurable ?), so it is my impression that they equate increased resolution with increased digital noise which is the opposite direction MQn took. If you decrease the buffers then you are just increasing the digital noise because the same instructions are being run more often than with larger buffers, there is no reason for lower latencies, it's not a musical instrument that needs to play sound as soon as a key is pressed.

Too many compromises with JPlay.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:So JPlay dac link is just using the device driver interrupt to time the swapping of buffers.

With MQn there is no swapping of buffers because there is no copying of data or streaming and it has always used the driver interrupt to time the next buffer.

I tried JPlay 6, but found the 0.5 ms system timer setting to be too digital (why not make this configurable ?), so it is my impression that they equate increased resolution with increased digital noise which is the opposite direction MQn took. If you decrease the buffers then you are just increasing the digital noise because the same instructions are being run more often than with larger buffers, there is no reason for lower latencies, it's not a musical instrument that needs to play sound as soon as a key is pressed.

Too many compromises with JPlay.
dont think jplay is a good benchmarker for sq maybe more for usability
but can we not lower the latency even just to 5-10 ms just to see what the guys here think of it