MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:So JPlay dac link is just using the device driver interrupt to time the swapping of buffers.

With MQn there is no swapping of buffers because there is no copying of data or streaming and it has always used the driver interrupt to time the next buffer.

I tried JPlay 6, but found the 0.5 ms system timer setting to be too digital (why not make this configurable ?), so it is my impression that they equate increased resolution with increased digital noise which is the opposite direction MQn took. If you decrease the buffers then you are just increasing the digital noise because the same instructions are being run more often than with larger buffers, there is no reason for lower latencies, it's not a musical instrument that needs to play sound as soon as a key is pressed.

Too many compromises with JPlay.
dont think jplay is a good benchmarker for sq maybe more for usability
but can we not lower the latency even just to 5-10 ms just to see what the guys here think of it
it's at 10ms
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:So JPlay dac link is just using the device driver interrupt to time the swapping of buffers.

With MQn there is no swapping of buffers because there is no copying of data or streaming and it has always used the driver interrupt to time the next buffer.

I tried JPlay 6, but found the 0.5 ms system timer setting to be too digital (why not make this configurable ?), so it is my impression that they equate increased resolution with increased digital noise which is the opposite direction MQn took. If you decrease the buffers then you are just increasing the digital noise because the same instructions are being run more often than with larger buffers, there is no reason for lower latencies, it's not a musical instrument that needs to play sound as soon as a key is pressed.

Too many compromises with JPlay.
dont think jplay is a good benchmarker for sq maybe more for usability
but can we not lower the latency even just to 5-10 ms just to see what the guys here think of it
it's at 10ms
ok how about a 2-5ms then
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
grisaia

Post by grisaia »

Octagon wrote:
nige2000 wrote:can u upload your working v24 mqn folder please
ive a diyinhk i2s hooked up atm
For everyone who wants to try, the way how to do it with some hints in summary:

Create a folder c:/musicplayer

Copy MQncontrol.exe and MQnloader.exe in that folder; at this moment in time you need both as v7.

Hex edit mqnplay.exe, as described by sebna on page 650 of this thread, with your device name, latest versions work all with v7 for example all v2x long device name.
What about people with device string longer than one in mqnplay file? I took a look and this issue still doesn't seem to be sorted out
tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:
tony wrote:
Gordon did you make it to the show??
sbgk wrote: no, was tempted, but couldn't make it in the end. Did you go ?
Yep Pearse exhibited and Nigel/Seb went alsoviewtopic.php?f=8&t=2661
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote: Yep Pearse exhibited and Nigel/Seb went alsoviewtopic.php?f=8&t=2661
great effort, didn't realise you would be using MQn, thought you'd all gone over to JPlay 6.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded v28, found a setting was missing, makes the previous versions sound flat.

Some success with the device name, should be fixed over the weekend.

not convinced by that version, bit of expectation bias going on.
Last edited by sbgk on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
tony wrote: Yep Pearse exhibited and Nigel/Seb went alsoviewtopic.php?f=8&t=2661
great effort, didn't realise you would be using MQn, thought you'd all gone over to JPlay 6.
we weren't using MQn probably would have been better sq wise if we did but for versatility and less complications jplay was used

there was a guy using xxhighend sounded good enough to try it out, has anyone here tryed it?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:
we weren't using MQn probably would have been better sq wise if we did but for versatility and less complications jplay was used

there was a guy using xxhighend sounded good enough to try it out, has anyone here tryed it?
Ah, ok, I preferred your 2014 setup.
tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:
Just trying out Jplay6 it was released yesterday.Sounds good so far. Pearse was using one of the 6 beta's simply as Nigel outlined it made things easy. We should have tried out MQn to see if it would have worked better but the show is hectic and when you get things working ok and the room constantly is filling up with people messing around with versions of anything is the furthest thing from your mind.

I still use a variety of MQn's at home but have to end up using an old one for any odd resolutions. The latest stuff haven't gone near it.
Really pity you didn't make it over.Not that anybody really understood his pc was probably the most tricked out one they will ever hear.
But even allowing for that the room had a huge impact on what sound was being produced. We needed Simon to pull up with every GIK bass trap he has to try and tame that room.

2015 set up was only different in that it had a better pc and the Lampizator Dac. Amps,Speakers,pre were the sam
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sbgk wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
sbgk wrote:

Ah, ok, I preferred your 2014 setup.
all jokes aside the system has sounded a good bit better than it did at scalford 2015, it should have been a country mile ahead of anything else
we weren't overly impressed with it sat night, luckily pearse put some cushions etc behind the speakers sun morning which helped
i guess we're going to blame the room for it not been at its best but it still sounded excellent