MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:Jitter shows up as harshness in mqn it's the way the micro details comes out of a jittery noisy pc and or dac

Usually any attempts to reduce harshness the micro details take a hammering
as long as mqn isn't negating noise, it will be awesome ultimately

all versions prior to 2.71 is worse than mqn.exe2.2 in my setup today.
last year, 2.71 raped mqn.exe2.2
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:5.83 is best of the bunch IMO. Upwards to 5.87 there is a gradually increasing loss of microdetails.
5.81 and 5.82 also show a lack of microdetails.

On acoustical jazz trio 5.83 approaches 5.14, but 5.14 still tops 5.83 clearly on the microdetails (in voice one can hear hear all the microvariations of the singer's voice and little swings) and is still the more engaging and more musical version, it also has still better and more natural extended decays than 5.83.

Cheers

Aleg
must admit I don't like 5.14. Uploaded 5.88 based on 5.83. Am using the registry change I posted a few posts back as well.
tony

Post by tony »

Using 5.07avx as it is the latest I have downloaded(sorry haven't got near the new ones yet1)
How different is that Gordon to some of the later stuff? On a side note heard DSD today on the hugo and meitner and it
sounds really excellent. Jriver on DSD against one of the latest MQn's for PCM and DSD has a body and level of detail that is very impressive. First track was the trademark MQn test track!(Oscar Peterson)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

tony wrote:Using 5.07avx as it is the latest I have downloaded(sorry haven't got near the new ones yet1)
How different is that Gordon to some of the later stuff? On a side note heard DSD today on the hugo and meitner and it
sounds really excellent. Jriver on DSD against one of the latest MQn's for PCM and DSD has a body and level of detail that is very impressive. First track was the trademark MQn test track!(Oscar Peterson)
You've got trapped into spiders (read Ken's DSD) net...:)))
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Using 5.07avx as it is the latest I have downloaded(sorry haven't got near the new ones yet1)
Agreed Tony,

Have also listened to a few DSD tracks (encapsulated as DoP files on disk before playback) using Hugo and just an older version of Foobar and it sounded mighty impressive and very pleasurable.

I'm going to convert some more of my SACD-rips into DoP-files, as it has been long time since I listened with such pleasure.

Last edited by Aleg on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:5.83 is best of the bunch IMO. Upwards to 5.87 there is a gradually increasing loss of microdetails.
5.81 and 5.82 also show a lack of microdetails.

On acoustical jazz trio 5.83 approaches 5.14, but 5.14 still tops 5.83 clearly on the microdetails (in voice one can hear hear all the microvariations of the singer's voice and little swings) and is still the more engaging and more musical version, it also has still better and more natural extended decays than 5.83.

Cheers

Aleg
must admit I don't like 5.14. ....
I'm sorry to hear that because this one is way above the rest and can only be the reference point for what to achieve again and to grieve about for what has been lost since ....
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
tony

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by tony »

Aleg wrote:
Agreed Tony,

Have also listened to a few DSD tracks (encapsulated as DoP files on disk before playback) using Hugo and just an older version of Foobar and it sounded mighty impressive and very pleasurable.

I'm going to convert some more of my SACD-rips into DoP-files, as it has been long time since I listened with such pleasure.
Nervous of using superlatives as it can come back to haunt you but it is hugely impressive. I used Jplay and had a quick look on the Jplay forum to see if their is any guidance(very little) Adjusted sample rate to 1024 and it played.Direct link no go.
Will have to read up on all this converting. Have downloaded Jriver also to test maybe time to forgive its tacky attack on Jplay.
Think a DSD thread is needed maybe it is there already.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Agreed Tony,

Nervous of using superlatives as it can come back to haunt you but it is hugely impressive. I used Jplay and had a quick look on the Jplay forum to see if their is any guidance(very little) Adjusted sample rate to 1024 and it played.Direct link no go.
Will have to read up on all this converting. Have downloaded Jriver also to test maybe time to forgive its tacky attack on Jplay.
Think a DSD thread is needed maybe it is there already.
I may indeed reinstall JPlay and see how it performs with the DoP-files.
The DoP-files being pre-encapsulated reduce the on-the-fly effort for JPlay so probably could use a lower buffer than 1024.
Have not heard the new 5.2.1 yet, so makes me curious how it performs against the 5.2 and latest MQn 44.1/16 in 24-bit versions. Would again give me support of 32-bit containers as well.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Aleg,Tony, DSF files played via Jplay require a buffer (at the 192khz setting ) of 2 or maybe 4 to play. Same on Nige's PC. I don't know for DoP files. Aleg, do you have a link to the conversion DSF to DoP program?
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Ken Moreland wrote:Aleg,Tony, DSF files played via Jplay require a buffer (at the 192khz setting ) of 2 or maybe 4 to play. Same on Nige's PC. I don't know for DoP files. Aleg, do you have a link to the conversion DSF to DoP program?
KM
All played for me using 1024 on all buffer settings? Will start a new DSD thread maybe Fran or one of the mods might move the last few posts over?