MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
satshanti

Re: MQN

Post by satshanti »

sbgk wrote:Just back from Vienna, what a place.
Welcome back, Gordon. Did you get to ride that huge ferris wheel?

Great to see those new versions appearing again. I just want to repeat that I just love to thoroughly test any version that comes out, but I discovered that 16/44 avx2 is just not suitable for me. I need at least a plain avx, preferably but not necessarily 24/96, in order to be able to judge it, as in my system with AMD CPU avx sounds way better than avx2.

I don't know how much time and effort it is for you to create different iterations of the same version, but I assume the reason you post your findings on this forum is to get feedback from others and making it more of a joint than a single effort. I'm willing and eager to spend a lot of my free time to participate, but that means my above mentioned need should be met.

It is not my intent to put pressure on you, so this will be the last time I mention it, and hopefully in the nicest and most respectful way I could. :-)

Thanks a lot anyway for all the energy and time you have already put into this, and for already having been able to create a music player that at its current state gives me a huge amount of pleasure each and every day.
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

satshanti wrote:
sbgk wrote:Just back from Vienna, what a place.
Welcome back, Gordon. Did you get to ride that huge ferris wheel?

Great to see those new versions appearing again. I just want to repeat that I just love to thoroughly test any version that comes out, but I discovered that 16/44 avx2 is just not suitable for me. I need at least a plain avx, preferably but not necessarily 24/96, in order to be able to judge it, as in my system with AMD CPU avx sounds way better than avx2.

I don't know how much time and effort it is for you to create different iterations of the same version, but I assume the reason you post your findings on this forum is to get feedback from others and making it more of a joint than a single effort. I'm willing and eager to spend a lot of my free time to participate, but that means my above mentioned need should be met.

It is not my intent to put pressure on you, so this will be the last time I mention it, and hopefully in the nicest and most respectful way I could. :-)

Thanks a lot anyway for all the energy and time you have already put into this, and for already having been able to create a music player that at its current state gives me a huge amount of pleasure each and every day.
are you sure the cpu has avx2 ? Can do an amd version as well.
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

sbgk wrote:
satshanti wrote: Welcome back, Gordon. Did you get to ride that huge ferris wheel?

are you sure the cpu has avx2 ? Can do an amd version as well.
You're right. According to Wikipedia my Bulldozer FX-8120 has regular AVX but no AVX2.
avx2 versions do sound much worse than avx versions on my system, but how come I can play avx2 versions at all then?
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

for you AMD cpu, you said AVX2 is worse as in? distorted?

i mean, can you derive the sound of a 5.14 sse from a 5.14 AVX2?
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

jesuscheung wrote:for you AMD cpu, you said AVX2 is worse as in? distorted?
i mean, can you derive the sound of a 5.14 sse from a 5.14 AVX2?
Not sure what you mean by "derive", but no, avx2 is not distorted. I can even play versions on my system that are distorted for many others, like my current favourite 3.39 avx. All 3 instruction sets work on my system. When I test one particular version in all 3 iterations, they all play, but avx is much better than avx2 and sse in all aspects. It's hard to express a preference between avx2 and sse as I don't like either much. In my AMD system avx2 is too harsh and constricted, while sse is too muddled and loose.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

satshanti wrote:...In my AMD system avx2 is too harsh and constricted, while sse is too muddled and loose.
sse is muddle for AMD?! hmm... never buying a AMD hehe
actually sse is easily harsh for intel, as reported by many
that harshness is more OS related than mqn itself.
after correct tweaking, harshness automatically disappears.

same for timerresolution=0.5ms...
it makes strain for most people
if OS has no strain to begin with... 0.5ms is best of best
wademcinnis

Post by wademcinnis »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 5.90 16/44 avx2, think I found something to improve things. Just back from Vienna, what a place.
Did you run into the THIRD MAN? Hope not, that guy is dangerous.

Did you listen to zither music in a coffee house?

Always have wanted to see Vienna but must admit most of what I know about the city came from THE THIRD MAN and John Irving's THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

wademcinnis wrote:
sbgk wrote:uploaded 5.90 16/44 avx2, think I found something to improve things. Just back from Vienna, what a place.

Always have wanted to see Vienna but must admit most of what I know about the city came from THE THIRD MAN and John Irving's THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE.
there is a third man museum, it's one of my favourite films. Did go to a couple of coffee houses, just a really relaxing city and seem to have their priorities sorted. Supposed to be 7000 spies in Vienna, they wouldn't choose a shabby town would they.

uploaded 5.94 avx2, back to 10000 period after reading something about directx being designed to work at 10000.
jrling

Post by jrling »

wademcinnis wrote:

Let's not forget that Vienna is the 'City of Music'? Do I get a copy of 5.14 SSE2 for pointing that out?!

Of course it is world renowned for its pastries, to go with the coffee and zither.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 5.95 avx2, uses xor instead of neg after discussion with Lekt, sounds a bit livelier. shall upload sse2 and avx version.

did an avx amd version as well