MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

jesuscheung wrote:randomly found an interesting article...

apparently usb transfers data default to 64kB/s
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581464

by using "MaximumTransferLength" reg key, speed can go up to 2MB/s as long as your usb supports it.

tutorial:
http://www.techgravy.net/kb2581464-incr ... windows-7/

maybe it gives better latency for those with USB DAC?
That is not about transfer SPEED but transfer SIZE.
Though both are related they are NOT equivalent.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

yes... sorry, need to clarify...

if you send a block of data 128 kB, by default windows will split it in two 64kB blocks

as an example, this tweak enables 128 kB to be sent without splitting...

who cares what it means, does it make better SQ or what?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

sbgk wrote:
Sligolad wrote:OK more madness and fun on my end....turns out the 24 192 track by Grover Washington was playing at half speed!!, yet it was probably the most intoxicating, holographic and great sounding piece of music I have ever heard through my speakers believe it or not, I am looking forward to playing this at the next get together and seeing some amazed faces :-))

Given that all HiRez is now locking in at 96k using MQNplayer 2496 5.14 avx2 on the Meitner pretty sure the 24 88 tracks are being sped up a little, need a comparison as they do sound different but good.
So its 24 96 files for proper playback speed....all beginning to sound a bit analogue with tape speeds and turntable speeds don't you think, but sounding very analogue as well!

Who ever said PC based playback was no fun and lacked soul.....been a weird and wonderful evening so far in my digital world :-)
was going to suggest that, but thought you might have noticed.
I would have thought so myself but this is the first time I have had unfamiliar music (do not even remember where I picked up the album) played at a perfect octave below normal and all the opening tracks are instrumental, it was only when I got to a vocal track that the penny dropped!!
Cymbals sounded like cymbals, bass sounded like bass except with more energy and projection than I have ever heard before.

Even with 88k to 96k the difference is not great unless you know the track well but after this experience I must put aside test tracks for future comparisons, something I have always avoided but see the benefit of it now.

I think most of us have heard the chipmunk effect in digital playback before with 24 44 tracks in JPlay but never realised you could get other speed changes.
I will definitely be playing with that full octave drop of 192 to 96 again as the enhancement to the listening experience is something to behold....surprised recording engineers have not experimented with it as it brings a very palpable holographic effect to the listening experience....then again maybe all this has been done before and I was not aware of it!!

Post by Clive »

Hi Gordon,

I've tried running 7.15 SSE (and 7.16) on my 8.1 machine (i5 Ivy Bridge) but there's still no sound. I have control 3.64 and PA is v32. 7.05 SSE runs fine. 7.10 2496 does not play either. Any ideas?

Clive
lukivision

Post by lukivision »

Clive wrote:
Excellent test! 7.05 SSE works on my laptop. So what is it we have in common? I'm running 8.1 into an Octave mkII dac which has an M2Tech USB input card. I'm using the Young driver. We both get no music with 7.16 so I wonder what is the cause. Gordon....please.....

I´m running 8.1 too with an t61 thinkpad without avx. Portaudio v.30, control 3.64 and taggarts mqnload. M2Tech HiFace1, Ess 9018 DIY-DAC. So I think that´s a quite common combination.

Luki
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I have similar effect with Hugo playing 24/192 files by 5.14 2496 version. I would say that speed is about half of normal, but it's hard to say.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Clive wrote:Hi Gordon,

I've tried running 7.15 SSE (and 7.16) on my 8.1 machine (i5 Ivy Bridge) but there's still no sound. I have control 3.64 and PA is v32. 7.05 SSE runs fine. 7.10 2496 does not play either. Any ideas?

Clive
7.05 is selecting default device, plays ok.

7.16 picking up device no from parameter file, not playing, so the parameter is wrong. Try other nos, what devices were returned from the listwdmksdevice.exe ?
Clive

Post by Clive »

sbgk wrote:
Clive wrote:Hi Gordon,

Clive
7.05 is selecting default device, plays ok.

7.16 picking up device no from parameter file, not playing, so the parameter is wrong. Try other nos, what devices were returned from the listwdmksdevice.exe ?
The device shows as 4. I set it to 4 in mqnparam.txt. I've tried 0 to 6. Maybe I've specified the file wrongly in some way? The file naming I hope is right, as you can see it's in the same directory as mqn. The file simply has the number in it. no spaces.

tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:uploaded mqnplay 7.18 avx2, ks equivalent of 5.14, exactly the same loop without the wasapi bits
Gordon would you mind putting up a sse2 version of this one would like to compare it to the 7.16. Will go back and have a good listen again tonight the comments about lack of bass/lower end by some I am not hearing that on my set up.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Clive

Post by Clive »

It works! I looked at the attributes of mqnparam.txt. The file name was actually mqnparam.txt.txt

Thanks Gordon, your questions/points guided me.